Go Down

Topic: Servers,Server Rack, Temperature (Read 531 times) previous topic - next topic

janno0718

Are you guys familiar with servers, Server rack? Cause I'm not

I really need to know what are the temperature range that the severs inside the server rack needs.
Cause my device has temperature sensor which can detect the temperature inside the rack.

I already research this. But I only find temperature range needed in the Server room which is around 18-23 Celsius. But I need the temperature inside the rack.

And another thing. Do you guys have an idea where to put my 4 temp sensors to detect the proper temperature inside the rack. I'm thinking besides the fan. What do you guys think? I can't put it outside the rack because the server room temp and the temp of other rack might affect the gather data.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it if you can help me

Jack Christensen

I would consult the specifications for the particular server(s) being used. But I doubt they will differentiate between "server room temperature" and "server rack temperature". Most racks are very open, the idea being that the air available to the racked equipment is essentially the same as the room air.

Equipment manufacturers will usually just specify a single ambient temperature, which is assumed to be the temperature of the air being drawn into the equipment.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but most modern equipment made in the last decade or two has built-in temperature sensors which are read by various management software that can automatically raise an alert if something is running hot.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

janno0718

I would consult the specifications for the particular server(s) being used. But I doubt they will differentiate between "server room temperature" and "server rack temperature". Most racks are very open, the idea being that the air available to the racked equipment is essentially the same as the room air.

Equipment manufacturers will usually just specify a single ambient temperature, which is assumed to be the temperature of the air being drawn into the equipment.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but most modern equipment made in the last decade or two has built-in temperature sensors which are read by various management software that can automatically raise an alert if something is running hot.

Thanks for the information sir. This helps me a lot.
In our school the server rack are close  but not all. Do you have any idea about the temperature range?

Jack Christensen

Thanks for the information sir. This helps me a lot.
In our school the server rack are close  but not all. Do you have any idea about the temperature range?

Not sure whether you mean close or closed, but I'd be very surprised that even if there is a solid glass front door on the cabinet, the back will be open or nearly so. Often the cooling air is brought in from below with a false-floor arrangement. Proper racks will be designed to facilitate proper airflow even when they are right next to each other. There may be specs on aisle space.

I do not know any temperature ranges, I will again have to direct you to the equipment manufacturer. There may be some standard, or if not a formal standard, then a typical industry rule of thumb. I've spent a fair amount of time in data centers, usually knew the environmental guys but did not get into that part myself. It can get pretty involved, measuring, adjusting temperatures and airflows. I wouldn't be surprised if the racks have specifications regarding airflow (CFM) and maximum heat (BTUs) that can be exhausted. Equipment specs should also include BTUs.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Go Up