Real time wireless video

Hi guys,
Im looking at creating a remotely controlled prototype robot for emergency nuclear power plant inspections. My question is could the arduino wifi sheild transmit real time video to a laptop via a router on a wireless LAN network? Video quality is quite an important factor, we think we are going to use something like a GoPro camera.
Just ask if you need anymore info.
Regards
Kris

Just ask if you need anymore info.

Where to start...

My question is could the arduino wifi sheild transmit real time video

No.

You should build a Robot that can be controlled by Arduino(see below) and add e.g. a wifi webcam like dericam - Arduino Forum -

You can control that remotely as long as you have wifi connection.

I think wifi is not the way to go in a Nuke plant as all the concrete will be reinforced and won't allow signal. Or you should send a dozen repeaterRobots to create a chain of tcp/ip routers. Using a cable is more reliable.

Furthermore be aware that the Arduino and the dericam are not radiaton hardened as far as I know. That means it can be fried just when the video gets interesting and that can be quite fast...

The robot will not actually be used in nuclear power plants, its more of a small proof of concept project. The robot will only be required to transverse an obstical course in one room, no issues with concrete walls. The dericam looks pretty dire to me, no where near real time, the more I read about WIFI the more i think RF is the way to go

The dericam looks pretty dire to me, no where near real time

I do not understand this remark.
The dericam shows (near) real time streaming over the internet. OK there is a sub-second delay as the video image must be packed into HTTP packets and unpacked in either your browser of phone app. And yes, the quality and framerate is not HDTV.

Can you quantify your defintion of real time?
What quality / resolution are you looking for?
What frame rate are you looking for?

My question is could the arduino wifi sheild transmit real time video to a laptop via a router on a wireless LAN network?

Not a hope in hell, the arduino lacks the required horsepower to process video in real time by several orders of magnitude. Assuming you're connecting an arduino to said wifi shield of course....

Below is a simple wen based test setup that would use an IP cam connected to the router to provide video from the bot.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

Thanks for the replys guys, ive been researching this all day and I think the only way to go is with radio transmission for real time video
But thanks anyway!

pulp64:
I think the only way to go is with radio transmission for real time video

I think the only sensible options are wireless (i.e. radio) or wired, but that leaves you with a huge range of choices. Unless the operational requirements make wired connection impractical, it is a no-brainer to take that route IMO.