Go Down

Topic: Complete newbie - completely thick - LED not lighting! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

pluggy

The old tutorials should have been updated or removed years ago.  I've been around Arduninos a while, but I never owned one I didn't make myself that didn't have a built in LED on pin 13.

iOSyum

The tutorial on this site has you connecting the longer leg of the LED to a resistor, but as you say, not really necessary anyway. To be honest, the breadboard I bought doesn't correlate with the tutorials (only one ... power bit? where the tutorials all have two) and I got impatient. An unfortunate trait of mine... I'll buy a new breadboard tomorrow and make a start on more of the tuts.
Software background. Be gentle...

pluggy

It doesn't matter which you connect the resistor to, it will work on either, the LED still needs it's longer leg (the Anode) to the positive end of the circuit however. 

James C4S

The tutorial on this site has you connecting the longer leg of the LED to a resistor, but as you say, not really necessary anyway.

No.  A resistor is ABSOLUTELY necessary, unless you want to buy new ATmega328 chips every so often.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

iOSyum

The tutorial on this site has you connecting the longer leg of the LED to a resistor, but as you say, not really necessary anyway.

No.  A resistor is ABSOLUTELY necessary, unless you want to buy new ATmega328 chips every so often.

I meant the exercise in its entirely, not the resistor :)
Software background. Be gentle...

Go Up