Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Braking lights of a car can send info to cars behind  (Read 718 times)
Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Got an idea today .
Today's cars have often brakes made of LED lights. When they brake they light up very brightly. The idea I got is that these LEDS could send information to cars behind them by blinking very rapidly. For humans it will still look like a bright RED signal, but sensors in the front of the car could read the signal in the leds of the braking car before us and react accordingly. The information a braking car can send may contain its speed, and, the distance to the car before him, etc.

Question is what kind of sensors could read such info from the braking (high speed blinking) lights?
+ the distance varies from 100+ to 10- meter.
+ the intensity of the light varies with the distance
+ the sensor should ideally be able to read also through (moderate) rain

A known variation is that the braking light blink in a human visible rate which increases with the braking force of the car.

I'm not intending to build such a system, just investigate the feasibility.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Brunsbüttel, SH, F.Rep.GERM
God Member
View Profile

i heard of a funny mobile LAN...
each car has a RF receiver+transmitter...
and each car works as a router...
a car that is close to a stationary "hotspot" can inject traffic to/from network nodes that r no nearby cars... smiley

this could easily do what u invented...

i think a blinking red light (even if it blinks very fast and with high duty cycle) is darker than a non blinking light...

-Arne

Arduino rocks
View Profile

For cars following why not use IR all the time giving vehicle information, this may help in fog as I think the penetration of near and shortwave IR is better than in the visible.

...noob...
View Profile

i think a blinking red light (even if it blinks very fast and with high duty cycle) is darker than a non blinking light...

if we are talking about LED's than you can apply higher voltage to a blinking LED, and that is make it actually brighter.

--
HE3r0
d(R)ive safe

Mumbai
Its Simple Technology, What will you do with It!
View Profile

A few Automobile Manufacturers have a similar technology in testing.
What they are doing is, using Ultrasonic Sensors and IR cams at the dash of the cars.
There is a computer which is constantly scanning for objects in front (ie: vehicles, humans, etc.)
Based on the distance of the object from the car and the current speed of the vehicle, the Auto-Brakes come into action if required.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Sending information this way is probably easier than deciding what if anything to do with it. What actions are appropriate would also depend on understanding several things about the source vehicle. But these sorts of problems are being tackled and solved. An interesting article that I recently read: http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/advanced-cars/all-aboard-the-robotic-road-train

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: