Wireless Rocket Motor Testing

Should be fairly simple: PC Software wirelessly sends a firing command to an Arduino UNO via a wireless chip, Arduino trips a relay to ignite the motor (ignition requires a 12v car battery), load cell provides an analog voltage signal into Arduino, Arduino sends signal to PC via wireless chip, PC records voltage and converts it into thrust.

Now, I am good with the software (doing this through VB.net and its SerialPort app)... the question is, which wireless method should I go through? Wifly seems cheap but I cant find and programming help for the life of me. Xbee seems confusing, which do I buy? Will it extend 50-100m? Can I still run the Xbee through VB.net using it as a serial port? Im good with the Arduino board, and VB.net; new to wireless communications :slight_smile:

All help is appreciated, thanks a bunch!

Ryan

I used an el-cheapo radio transmitter/receiver to control a car. Might be all you need. Details here:

I don't know which technique you're going to use, but on the controlling side I suggest you design it so that you can validate the command before you act on it - it would be all too easy for random noise to trigger your motor prematurely, and I imagine that would be a very bad thing.

Look at your data bandwidth - you may very well find that you will fail to record important events because the wireless data speed will not allow you to sample fast enough.

-j

I thought he just wanted to trigger an ignition sequence. And for that, yes I would send a fairly lengthy sequence so that noise doesn't set the thing off.

Mark,
I would like to have the Arduino send voltage data as fast as possible, then have my software on the computer pick it up (30+ a sec). Also what is the range, and is this a "transparent" radio? Can it just be programmed as a serial port? I like the Ciseco XRF and URF, but alas they are only sold in Europe :frowning:

I thought he just wanted to trigger an ignition sequence.

Nope, looks like he's building a test stand:

load cell provides an analog voltage signal into Arduino, Arduino sends signal to PC via wireless chip, PC records voltage and converts it into thrust.

-j