Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Good luck all of you guys on the East Coast :-(  (Read 2227 times)
Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I hope they are over the top with some of the predictions about this storm..  and that you are all stocked up - Good luck

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Southeast Michigan here. Not expecting anything too extreme, but I saw one prediction of waves up to 22 feet on Lake Michigan around Chicago. That is pretty unusual. Planning to head out shortly and stock up on petrol for the generator just in case the remnants of Sandy cause any outage here.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

They are now saying 31 feet on Lake Michigan,  hope they are all wrong, like the tsunami warning yesterday for Honolulu, that ended up a 2 foot wave ....

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

@Jack (et al)
Keep us informed how things work out there.

good luck!
Here in the Netherlands we seldom have storms like Sandy (why must I think of Olivia NJ), but floodings are unfortunately too familiar

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

We're quite a ways inland, on the rare occasions that we do get "remnants" of a hurricane, it's usually not distinguishable from just the average rainy spell. This one is sounding like it'll be above average, especially where wind is concerned, but I'm not overly worried. Folks out East will bear the brunt of it. Crossroads will probably see much more than we will, and I think he's a bit North of the worst part.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

30 miles inland here, wind blowing pretty good. Some rain too.
Another heavy band of rain about to hit.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi Jack, it seems like its around your way at the moment, although reduced to 75 mph,  and Crossroads in Boston area caught the edge ?

3 to 5 million without power this morning must include a lot of members of this group.

At least we are getting a break from the elections on CNN   !

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Quoted time for generators to keep datacenter powered during electrical outage: 36 hours.
Actual time generators were able to keep datacenter powered up: 15 minutes.

What's wrong with storing the diesel for the generators in the basement? Should we not have done that?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Still alive here! Rain coming down pretty good. Not so windy now.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

Have you got power?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

We're quite a ways inland...

Doesn't always matter...
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/wind-gusts-reach-miles-per-hour-in-rapid-city/article_89e6c188-7f27-58cd-bcbb-08dab9fd5e74.html

Category 1 wind speeds without the hurricane.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Hurricanes.  That's why we left Houston.  Blech.

I'm glad y'all are doing OK.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:29:06 am by Coding Badly » Logged

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Wowsa. That's quite a picture. The way those trucks are laying is amazingly consistent.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

We didn't lose power, just flickered a few times.   Not like last year, when the power went out 6 hours before the storm even got here.
Bit windy at times, and rainy. Most of the storm stayed southwest of us.
300K+ are without power, and coast had some good flooding.

Spectacular explosion in NYC - seems a substation blew up, many folks will be without power for a week+.

Leeds, England
God Member
Quick, chuck it in the bin before the boss finds out...
View Profile

Back in 2007 we had heavy rain (for us!) and flooding which resulted in, amongst other things, an embankment supporting a main road to partially collapse leading to one lane being closed for safety reasons. It's now 2012 and it is still closed...

I suspect that the damage caused over there will be repaired somewhat quicker?

Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: