Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 1 baud possible?  (Read 472 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just looking at the easiest way to implement a few aspects of my next arduino project (wwvb transmitter), and was wondering if the Arduino can actually send data at 1 baud on its serial lines?  Code has no problem compiling with Serial.begin(1);.  But before delving deeper into the project, was hoping someone could let me know if that would work, and if the actual rate would be a pretty accurate 1 bit per second (and not some weirdly divided clock that ends up being 1.2 or 0.9 bits per second or something similar)?

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

Although there is no check for it in the code, all settings below 16 won't work because there will be an integer overflow in the calculated numbers. An unpatched SoftwareSerial doesn't work below 300 baud, so you don't have software support on Arduino for 1 baud serial communication.

Baud rates that low are no problem to be implemented in a simple sketch, though. Even with a simple loop() and checking for the millis() value you'd get enough precision to communicate reliably at such low rates. What device are you communicating with? Humans?

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Submarines?

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Technically even sub-second baud rates are possible. I recall that during my school days we had to build an application that auto detected the baud rate of some "strange device".

remember, if you have a bit length of 1 second it will take ten++ second to send a byte as start stop bits are still needed.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:55:46 am by robtillaart » Logged

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: