Go Down

Topic: Arduino Mega or DUE? (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic

cyclegadget

Leaf Labs Maple is a nice board but, it also has some issues. Like the Due there is some give and take. The Due has a bigger support group and I think it will be an amazing tool with some time given to people working with it.

bperrybap

The big down fall is all of these Some what zippier  devices are 3.3v at low current. This requires more attention to detail when designing a circuit. Careful not to smoke the cpu.

Unlike with DUE, at least with the chipkit and maple, the inputs are 5v tolerant so that can make
interfacing to 5v devices simpler in some cases.

--- bill

haxan

This post is quite old but i wanted some help understanding one difference in Due and Mega.

Is the code written for Mega compatible with Due or will i have to make some changes?

bperrybap

This post is quite old but i wanted some help understanding one difference in Due and Mega.

Is the code written for Mega compatible with Due or will i have to make some changes?

Short answer "it depends".
If the code limits itself to not directly touching the internal MCU  h/w directly and only uses the
Arduino core library functions or the APIs from the libraries that come with the IDE then the code will work for both.

But by you saying "code written for Mega", I'm assuming you have code that is not really
truly Arduino code in that it violates the Arduino APIs by directly touching hardware.
If that is the case, then no, it will not work on DUE.

That is from a s/w perspective.
Then there is the h/w issue of 5v vs 3v and pin drive capability.

haxan

Thanks Bperrybap.

I now understand what you mean. Well i am using a few libraries, some from Arduino and some from other contributors.

Is there anyway i can know if the h/w is being touched in those libraries? I will have to skim these lib files.

Go Up