Go Down

Topic: difference between normal power on and power on with Serial Monitor (Read 89 times) previous topic - next topic

jl-p

Hi,

I have a due, and several I2C shields.
I use them on I2C bus one and on I2C bus 2

When i power on my arduino without the serial monitor the system boots and won't find my shields
not always 99 out of 100 he don't find them.
it are only the I2C devices on I2Cbus 2. (Wire1.)
When i connect it to my laptop and open serial monitor. the due restarts and always find them.
when i disconnect it again it keeps find them until a certain point in time. then he won't find them at all.
only a boot with serial monitor open will fix this.

so what is different

MorganS

The difference is that the shields are already powered when the DUE is reset by the serial monitor. You may have a shield that doesn't come up before the DUE when you power them both simultaneously.

Test: Can you power up (without serial monitor) and then press the 'reset' button on the DUE? Does that do the same thing as the method you already know works?

If that test is successful then you need to work out why your shields are slow and maybe add some delays in your setup() function to allow them time to come up.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy