Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Airplane Carry-On Luggage?  (Read 2978 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i'm going to Nova Scotia for a halloween party next week, and i want to bring my Arduino but i'm not sure if airport security will freak out and think it's a bomb (worst case scenario), i mean, it looks pretty suspicious.  i always travel very light (2 bags max) and i never check-in luggage because i can't stand waiting for luggage after the plane lands.

anyway, has anyone here taken their Arduinos on board an airplane before?  any issues with security?

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Try to make it really obvious what it is, and if you can, take it as parts. If it's just a box of components, a board and maybe a few batteries then I would have thought you should be fine.

Mowcius

Central Europe
Edison Member
Use the Source, Luke.
View Profile

I travel every week across Europe taking my Arduino, a bread board and a box of random components with me to while away my lonely evenings in hotel rooms. Never had any trouble. Leave your gas-powered soldering iron and the clippers in the check-in luggage though.

If they ask - which they do only very rarely - , tell them it's for sexual self-gratification and whether they want to try it. A roll of network cable and a computer lock with metal cord gets more attention, though one did wonder once what the roll solder was.

Korman
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:24:22 am by Korman » Logged

UK
God Member
Twitter: @simonmonk2
View Profile

I would keep it in its retail packaging if you have it.

Definitely not a good idea to tuck it inside a shoe to prevent it getting damaged!

If you are worried about it, make a point of showing it to the person dishing out the trays at the scanner and asking if its ok. Act like they are the experts, an you a mere mortal are eliciting their opinion.

--
My New Arduino Book: http://www.arduinobook.com

England
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just make sure anything electronic you take through the airport isn't potted (or even packed) with silicone
from http://groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l/browse_thread/thread/21fdb2ef54b9c683/d0c0a83b57dc18e7?lnk=gst&q=silicone#d0c0a83b57dc18e7
> > Warning: take care with silicon:

> Was it Chris 'Fixitsan' Barron who had the problem with shipping a  
> nixie clock that had silicon inside it somewhere? The clock was  
> intercepted at the airport and exploded with a high-velocity water  
> jet on the runway because the silicon and neon gas inside looked  
> suspicious. The person who built the clock got a dawn raid by the  
> riot squad. I expect I got the story all wrong, but this could be  
> another reason not to use silicon.

> John S

Yep that's close enough John.
It was just post 9/11 and the explosives detectors at Glasgow airport which had coloured screens had just been installed. Apparently the RTV glows the same colour on the screen as some well known explosives. Glasgow airport was closed. Bomb disposal arrived and used a water cartridge to tear a hole through the clock.
Shortly afterwards a policeman arrived at my home, after identifying the sender's address marking, to ask me what it actually was in the package. I had an identical clock ready to be shipped and was able to show him the guts and the RTV sealant.

I fully expected the package to be returned to me, but the next thing I heard was fro the irate buyer who initiated an eBay grievance for poor packaging - the clock arrived with most of the guts hanging out of the package. Both Z5680 tubes were broken.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

anyway, has anyone here taken their Arduinos on board an airplane before?  any issues with security?

I routinely travel with suspicious looking electronics with destinations around the world.  When visiting customers I often carry-on un-finished prototypes, ICs in exotic packaging, test equipment probes, etc.  Things that the highly trained security officers do not often seen.  Something small like an Arduino will just look like any other PCB in the x-ray.

In the unlikely event you are asked respond with,  "Oh that is for my halloween costume.  It makes it light up."  No need for specific details.  

One note:  If your Arduino is going to be battery powered, you may not want to carry-on the batteries with you.  Recent changes in regulations regarding batteries could cause some concern.  Depending on your origin and destination there are limits on the size and kind of batteries you carry which are not permanently installed in a device.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Central Europe
Edison Member
Use the Source, Luke.
View Profile

James,

"sexual self-gratification" works always better than Halloween costume with highly trained officials. I tried both but with the first answer I never got any more questions. Strange looks perhaps, but they never dared to ask. And that answer works for anything, from a steel cable to 5 left shoes or a map carrier roll with a handembroidered wall hanging. It even worked with a half-finished shirt of chain mail.

Korman
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:56:49 am by Korman » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

smiley

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

"sexual self-gratification" works always better than Halloween costume with highly trained officials. I tried both but with the first answer I never got any more questions. Strange looks perhaps, but they never dared to ask. And that answer works for anything, from a steel cable to 5 left shoes or a map carrier roll with a handembroidered wall hanging. It even worked with a half-finished shirt of chain mail.
Oh there are some funny people on here  ;D

Chennai, India
God Member
Peace!!!
View Profile

"sexual self-gratification"

lol.... perhaps you can call it a 'electronic fetish!' smiley-wink

Be The Change...

Central Europe
Edison Member
Use the Source, Luke.
View Profile

Fetish isn't as good, they can put you into the harmless weirdo category. Sexual self-gratification sounds scientific and official enough, that they might start to wonder if you're looking for a victim for your next  discrimination lawsuit based on sexual orientation (gay bashing for the rest of the world). It's like people talking about "alternative lifestyles" and such crap. It makes those highly trained official a lot more careful and they try extra hard to do things right. Easiest is for them to leave you alone.

Korman
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:44:17 am by Korman » Logged

Plano, TX
View Profile

Just tape it to a bottle of Pepto-Bismol and you'll be fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: