Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Coaxial Heli Control Board Replacement--Help Please!!  (Read 890 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

EDIT: Dont know where my mind was while posting this in the wrong forum, Moderators, please Move it to the Correct One!!
Hey guys,

I have  a Coaxial Helicopter, essentially a cheap one, with 2 Brushed motors on it for the blades and another brushed motor for the Rotor Blade.
I brought it to convert it to an Arduino controlled Helicopter. Money was an Issue a few days ago, but scince its my b'day, i can ask for stuff from my Mom and Dad now smiley

SO please help me with what i need to do and get...
3 Brushed Motors, 3.7V and i dont know what current Rating they have. It would need 2 Brushed ESCs, like the Turingy 20A Brushed ESC.
Tell me if i am correct.

For Stabalisation, do i need both a Gyro and an Accelerometer? A 3 axis accelrometer like MMA7361, would it work?? Why do i essentially need a Gyro sensor??

Also i can control the Heli with either Infre Red or the the NRF24L01 RF Transcievers.

Is all this OK? what else should i be needing?

Regards
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:12:17 am by psgarcha92 » Logged

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

For Stabalisation, do i need both a Gyro and an Accelerometer? A 3 axis accelrometer like MMA7361, would it work?? Why do i essentially need a Gyro sensor??
As long as one axis is pointing up, the accelerometer won't detect a horizontal spin.  That's why you need the gyroscope.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

And what if i use two accelerometers? one for Horizontal and one for Vertical? would that do??

Regards

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

And what if i use two accelerometers? one for Horizontal and one for Vertical? would that do??

I think that having two accelerometers separated by distance would allow you to detect a spin, but not the direction of the spin.  Still, a rate gyroscope is what everyone uses.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I have  a Coaxial Helicopter, essentially a cheap one, with 2 Brushed motors on it for the blades and another brushed motor for the Rotor Blade.

I have both a coaxial and a fixed pitch single rotor indoor helicopters. They are a lot of fun and fly pretty well once you get the hang of them. But your idea would seem to me to have one big flaw in it, and that is what kind of extra weight do you think your helicopter could carry? So post a link to your specific helicopter to see if it is of the size to be able to carry any extra payload weight. I would hate to see your parents spend money of a project that has little chance of success from the very start because of something basic like payload weight limitation. This is something you just can't leave to chance or 'think' it can carry the extra weight, you have to know upfront.

And make no mistake even if your heli can carry the extra weight this is a very advance project to take on unless you are working directly off a project where someone else proved out all the hardware and software.
What other arduino projects have you completed so far?

Lefty

Australia
View Profile

Also, even if the helicopter can carry extra weight, the extra weight cant change the CG (centre of gravity), otherwise the helicopter will drift .

View Profile

@retrolefty
I dont know if this would give you an idea, but it is bigger than those Micro Helicopters.Link below shows a heli identical to the one i use.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/BIGGEST-RC-HELICOPTER-WITH-GYROSCOPE-Volitation-3-5-CH-Double-Horse-/200891823488?
pt=IN_Toys&hash=item2ec615f580&_uhb=1#ht_1022wt_1139

I have not worked on many projects that involve moving objects like RC Cars and specially not Helicopters. Though have built a Finger Print Attendance logger, a few screen displays, and am currently also working on Tetris on Arduino. A few LCD based stuff too, but nothing original. Wanna learn here...

@mauried,
i too was thinking of this. I assume that to find the CG or how and where the weight should be distributed, i would tie a thread on the Main shaft and see how the helicopter is positioned. That would give me a fair idea of where the CG lies i guess.

Regards

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

i would tie a thread on the Main shaft and see how the helicopter is positioned. That would give me a fair idea of where the CG lies i guess.

The center of gravity would be directly under the rotor head when the vehicle is hovering. Usually, it would be designed so that the main shaft is vertical when the vehicle is hovering; in other words the CoG should be along the axis of the main shaft, or very close to it. The further you move it away from there, the more grief you'll have.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: