Go Down

Topic: Attach Serial Monitor to Another Line? (Read 937 times) previous topic - next topic

three_jeeps

I am posting this question here because there doesn't seem to be a category into which it fits...this seems to be the closest.

Is there a way to configure the Serial Monitor in the development environment to attach itself to a different serial port?  Currently it always attaches to Serial.   I am using the Mega and would like to attach it to Serial1, or perhaps Serial2.  Is this possible?  If so, how??
Thanks
J

fungus

I am posting this question here because there doesn't seem to be a category into which it fits...this seems to be the closest.

Is there a way to configure the Serial Monitor in the development environment to attach itself to a different serial port?  Currently it always attaches to Serial.   I am using the Mega and would like to attach it to Serial1, or perhaps Serial2.  Is this possible?  If so, how??

You can use a program like "putty" instead (and leave the window open between compiles!)
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

PaulS

The only Serial port that is connected to the USB to Serial converter on the Arduino is Serial.

No, you can't attach the Serial Monitor to non-existent stuff.

Nick Gammon

It's possible if you get an FTDI cable (effectively giving you another serial to USB connection). Then plug Rx of that cable into Serial1, Serial2 or Serial3 and view the output in putty or similar (connect Gnd as well of course).

eg. https://www.adafruit.com/products/70

fungus

You can use a program like "putty" instead (and leave the window open between compiles!)

You have to add another serial cable to do this, obviously...  ;)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up