Go Down

Topic: Shift In Register bug (Read 2422 times) previous topic - next topic

cyberrave

I copy pasted the code from the hello world shift register example from http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShftIn11 and when I test it, I get funny results: my problem is that when I press the 8th bit (2^7 position), I sometimes get 11111111 instead of 10000000(expected result). When this happens, the other buttons connected to my shift in stop working. A hypothesis I have is that my pull-up resistors are of 100 ohm, not the suggested 10k, but This was never a problem before today (using the same chip). I have checked and double checked my wiring and I have tried swapping the register for a new one, but no luck.

Like I said, this sometimes happens, then, for some reason I don't understand, it starts working properly again, and when I least expect it, it stops working (gives 11111111 if the 8th bit is pressed or nothing if any other bit is pressed).

I am using: arduino Uno r3, CD4021BE shift register

Thanks in advance for the help

MarkT

There's something fishy about that code, it uses:

Code: [Select]
delayMicroseconds(0.2);

but delayMicroseconds doesn't know about floats.

shiftIn() is the function you want I think.  You can have a look at its source,
its much more readable - its in wiring_shift.c in <install-dir>/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Grumpy_Mike

The other thing is have you got decoupling capacitors on the shift register?
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/De-coupling.html

cyberrave

Great guys! Thanks a lot! I was not using de coupling capacitors, and after reading the article about it,i think this should also help a whole lot with some stability issues i'm having with my RTC thats on the same project! As fr the shift in function, thanks, I had no clue this existed!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy