Go Down

Topic: odd issue with Arduino Mega (Read 467 times) previous topic - next topic

rgallant

This may be me but here is the situation

I am communicating via the I2C bus to a Devantech SD21 using an Ardunio Mega 2560

If I use the Arduino on board 5 volt and ground everything works ok.

If I try to use 5 volts to the SD21 and simply use the SDA/SCL from the Ardunio the sketch hangs, the 1st time it attempts to end the transmission.

It acts as if the SD21 is not powered by the external power, I did verify that power does exist at the appropriate pins on the SD21.

Am I missing something obvious ?  Have noticed this problem with other sketches as well that use the servo library to fire up an R/C ESC.

Any troubleshooting suggestions

CrossRoads

When you do this
"If I try to use 5 volts to the SD21 and simply use the SDA/SCL from the Ardunio the sketch hangs, the 1st time it attempts to end the transmission. "
are you connecting the 2 grounds together?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

rgallant

Hi,

Thanks for the very quick reply

No actually I am not, to connect the grounds, I am assuming the ground on the SD21 will go to ground on the Arduino, does it matter which one ?  I am assuming you would go to the ground beside the 5 volt pin ?

CrossRoads

Yes. All grounds must connect together. The Gnd on the header is a convenient location.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

rgallant

Thanks,

That resolved the problem.  I appreciate the assistance.

CrossRoads

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy