Go Down

Topic: W5100 Shield and Pin 10 on Mega 2560 (Read 731 times) previous topic - next topic

chromus

Hi All,

I am relatively new to arduino and am attempting to add a w5100 shield and code to someone elses project.

I have searched the forums but can't find a direct answer to my question.

The query I have is about what PIN10 is used for on the ethernet shield and in the library. The project I am working with uses all of the Mega2560 PWM channels for LED control (via PWM) including PIN10.

Before I lash out on hardware I want to confirm based on my reading that my understanding is correct, that I could (if I didn't stack it on the 2560) connect pin 10 to any other Digital I/O pin and modify the library, and that it doesn't actually need a PWM signal.

I will do the data via the ICSP header so that is covered.

SurferTim

Do it! Digital pin 10 does not have anything to do with the SPI on a Mega, just the Slave Select for the ethernet shield.

SurferTim

How many PWM outputs do you need? The Mega has a bunch. From the products page:
PWM: 2 to 13 and 44 to 46. Provide 8-bit PWM output with the analogWrite() function.

Pins 11-13 have nothing to do with the SPI on a Mega, so you can use those also.

chromus

The PWM outputs are being used for an aquarium controller which times the PWM LED drivers for the lighting.

The problem I have is that I have an ITDBO2 shield in the mix which uses:

Code: [Select]
ITDB02_Touch myTouch (6,5,4,3,2);
myGLCD(ITDB50, 38,39,40,41);

There are a lot of other I/Os in use which I am more than happy to futz with the allocations of, but when it comes to Henning Karlsens libraries I don't want to mess with the voodoo as it's above my understanding and this shield really needs to be left stock due to the screen and header.

The standard code I am building from already uses the following pins for their PWM ability and breaking the "conflicted" PIN 10 out on  44-46 I could do, it will make things a little messy on the protoshield I am using, due to the volumes of I/Os on that part of the board I am already using:

const int ledPinSump = 7;           
const int ledPinBlue = 8;            /
const int ledPinWhite = 9;           
const int ledPinRoyBlue = 10;        //  <--- Needed by ethernet shield (if using std library)
const int ledPinRed = 11;           
const int ledPinUV = 12;           
const int ledPinMoon = 13;   

If it is as simple as allocating as per below then problem solved, if not as nice hardware wise.  :)

const int ledPinRoyBlue = 44;

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy