Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My New Arduino Idea / Design  (Read 1353 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, on my Other Thread, I posted about my Arduino "Dos" idea...

"I, personally, would like to see a second set of headers inwards from the normal ones. These second headers would also be in a different order... The PWM pins would be 13 - 8... The origonal headers would be the same pins... same PWM, everything... Just you would also have proto-board-friendly headers next to them..."

Instead, I have decided to try and make my own... And maybe manufacture it...

The problem is that I will need to modify the bootloader to use it properly.

Also, I am a little rusty at the "Board" part of Eagle... I would need some help sorting out the rat's nest...

I am wondering if any of you would like to help me in making this?

Also, I want to make the name "Protoduino"... Is this copyrighted, or is it available?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:24:28 pm by Jeremy1998 » Logged

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

The problem is that I will need to modify the bootloader to use it properly.

why would rearranging headers have anything to do with the bootloader?

God Member
View Profile

Because I want to change the way you adress pins...

The origonal headers would be S, as in 13S, 12S, ect...In the normal order... The PWM pins would be the standard ones. And the S stands for Shield.  

The new proto headers would be in another order... They would be PWM on 13 - 8. These proto headers would be adressed as P13, P12, ect. P stands for Prototype / Proto-Board.  

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

still would not have anything to do with the bootloader... you would need to mod the core files, which doesnt care how your programming the chip, even if its with a wire and a car battery

and not to be mean, but dont you have 1000 other ideas you haven't finished yet? learn the basics first and accomplish something before you re-invent the wheel
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:30:44 pm by Osgeld » Logged

LOS GATOS, CA, USA
The TinkerTech Blog and the MusheenShop
View Profile

Also, I want to make the name "Protoduino"... Is this copyrighted, or is it available?

Check this
http://bit.ly/9UJJt9

Ideas are awsome, and it is awesome to share ideas, but try to understand what it takes beyond the blue sky to understand what you are asking.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:57:38 pm by ThatBozGuy » Logged

God Member
View Profile

How difficult would it be to modify the core files?

Honestly, I really do want to do this... I'm just not sure exactally how...

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

as far as editing them they are standard c and h files open with a editor

as far as what is in them how they work etc that depends on your understanding of how avr's are actually programed and your knowledge of avrgcc

grab datasheets and start learning how to program avr's without the arduino candy coat in front

God Member
View Profile

Before I start that, how thick is thr Arduino coating?

As in, how drastic is the change from Arduino to that AVR thing?

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

look at the port manipulation tutorial for a basic idea

your dealing directly with registers and bitwise math, its not the hardest thing in the universe, but its confusing at first

of course you still need to learn blink without delay so ...

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

please understand I am not being a total dick (ok I am a bit) but seriously you need to understand basic concepts before rewriting a core

I have been a arduino user for just under a year, and a microcontroller user for just under 2, I barley understand the core stuff

now thats not to say I am GOD! and anyone should be beneath me given the same amount of time, but I have been "programming" since a little before your age, in the 1980's, and I have education in the general subject

personally if your not able to google open source source code that is even pre-compiled for you in a hex file on the main darn page, nor look up beginner tutorials on this beginner oriented website, then you just might be stepping out of your comfort zone for what you have planned

if you wish to design a board, you can! please do so! the electronics of the arduino are basic and a good starting point to learn whatever electronics CAD package you wish, make a custom board be happy with it, and hope others will to, crap man its a decent idea until you step out of your zone

and finally get an idea and stick with it, its amazing to see the amount of idea's you have had over the last couple of months while I was working on a single thing

yes we all have ideas that pop up during another idea, write it down save it for next or else you end up with a bench full of half completed non functional "crap"

As a participant of ludemdare, which is a 48 hour, from scratch, game dev competition, just seeing an idea from start to your goals is unworthy of any other experience, no matter the obstacles or grief...

even if you crap out the worst thing in your life its "finished" its done on a retarded schedule and its yours, I gain 5 years of project experience every time I do one

make a goal in your level of knowledge, set a time table, and beat it with every project, even if its not perfect just get it done (and fiddle with it later)

by the time your my age you will be sitting pretty phat in life, I guarantee it

your not dumb, your just unfocused, and that is worse IMO (cause your wasting your talent), but its an easy thing to fix, just work at it  smiley-wink
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:31:23 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Sofia, Bulgaria
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The problem is that an educational system works on you not being dumb, not not being focused. Years spent in school do not help a lot on focusing on things. Everything is either pharmacy (ADD) or folklore. In an age where a TV spot can have no more than 2 sec focused on a single thing, because the viewer's attention is low, what good is to say that it's easy. In fact this thing - learning how to focus - is hard. Really hard.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:09:23 am by mircho » Logged

Central Europe
Edison Member
Use the Source, Luke.
View Profile

Before I start that, how thick is thr Arduino coating?
As in, how drastic is the change from Arduino to that AVR thing?

Jeremy,

this question is kind of an idiot test. If you have to ask it, you don't know enough to try it. If you now enough to do something like this, you don't have to ask that question because the answer would be obvious to you.

The fact that you asked the question gives you and all the rest of the world the answer, that you don't have enough clues about things to do what you think you need to do. Is everything lost for you? Not at all, you just need to learn to crawl and to walk before you can start thinking about running.

Best start here:

Figure out on your own, how for example PWM out works, what option you have, what pins can provide it  and under what constraints you can modify that. When you do this, check the source code of the concerned Arduino functions.

Figure out on your own, what the boot-loader does exactly and what services it provides for application programs.

Figure out on your own where the source files are, how you can modify them and apply them. There's plenty documentation available for that.

In case you missed it, the common part of these tasks is the "Figure out on your own", where - in case you missed that again - the important part is "on your own" and not by posting questions on the forums. This will teach you a lot of useful things, most of them you probably don't even know yet that you need them and it will set you on track for you little project.

Korman
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:49:22 am by Korman » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

BTW, I think that "move the arduino core" to a new CPU is a particularly GOOD "learning project."  However, it requires that you have a background in both the source (AVR) and target (???) CPUs, as well as a basic understanding of what the code you are porting is supposed to do.

For example, I have been (rather sporadically) blogging about my experiences and observations porting the Arduino environment to TI's MSP430 here: http://www.element-14.com/community/people/WestfW/blog

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

In case you missed it, the common part of these tasks is the "Figure out on your own", where - in case you missed that again - the important part is "on your own" and not by posting questions on the forums. This will teach you a lot of useful things, most of them you probably don't even know yet that you need them and it will set you on track for you little project.
Sharing what you learn here would be a good thing. There is nothing like trying to teach someone else something (or even explain it properly) to force you to come to a total understanding of the topic.

Sharing what you learn, and being able to answer questions about it, even if that means more research, means that you have learned something. Maybe not what you set out (or wanted) to learn, but something.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i think you should learn more about arduino before you go manufacturing them

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: