Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Newbee question re controlling LEDs  (Read 532 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi folks,
I am brand new to arduino, so please go easy on me!  I will be needing to control eight independent LEDs via maxMSP.  Each LED will either be "blinking", "on" or "off" independent of eachother.  I'm looking at building the single sided arduino board since I can etch it myself.  Will one board be all I need?  Do I need a shield board?

Thanks you, and if I have forgotten any needed basic info, please let me know.

Cheers,
Joel

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should ask if this is not the place?  You guys know if I can control eight LEDs individually with the Arduino Duemilanove?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Your questions are kind of confusing.  What are you referring to when you say "single sided arduino board"?  If you are going to build your own board, why not integrated the LEDs onto it anyway.

On/Off/Blink is simple digital I/O, so you'll only need 8 I/O pins, which the Duemillanove (and most other variants) offer.  You'll need to limit the current to around 20-25mA, so that if they are all at the same time, you aren't sinking more than 200mA of current.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the reply CMiYC,

I was refering to this version:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardSerialSingleSided3

That's the only single sided one I've seen, but like I said I'm real new to this.  

Integrating the LEDs sounds great!  I'll only be building this specifically for this task, so that makes sense.

One issue is that the cable need to be able to be about 15-20 feet long from the computer to the ardunio (or 15-20 feet from ardunio to LEDs), so I know that makes the USB version not a good choice...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm in Austin too, BTW!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

One issue is that the cable need to be able to be about 15-20 feet long from the computer to the ardunio

So have a short USB to FTI chip lead, then the long lead can be serial. At that distance you might get away with just TTL, otherwise you will need a MAX232 at both ends to boost the signal up to RS232 voltage levels and then back down again for the Arduino.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: