Go Down

Topic: Billie's Hydroponic Controller (Read 81 times) previous topic - next topic

superman

This is going way off-topic, but tomatoes need to have a humidity of 75 - 80% for the pollen to develop. Once the pollen are there it should be enough to shake the plant to pollinate ;)

Yes it was the first time i really grew anything and i didn't understand the fact that i needed to shake or manually pollinate the plant.  I now use an old electric toothbrush turn it on and place it slightly bellow the flower and watch the pollen move.

Let me throw an idea out
On the other hand I believe that the salt water aquarium people use there pH levels to monitor the concentration of their chemicals and to prevent overfilling from occurring.  Watch this video starting at 4:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8FQGz_s_g8 Now in your setup if you do use an automated water top off to maintain water levels in your solution  you will wont to monitor concentration of your solution. If you don't use a top off system you still want to monitor concentration (in case of evaporation) so you do not chemical burn your plants.

terryking228

Hi Billie,

Just wanted you to know I'm quietly following all of this after asking early questions...  Thanks for showing us so much!
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

BillieBricks

Now in your setup if you do use an automated water top off to maintain water levels in your solution  you will wont to monitor concentration of your solution. If you don't use a top off system you still want to monitor concentration (in case of evaporation) so you do not chemical burn your plants.

Great link to you tube you just gave me. I found the principle of fault tolerance in the float switches combined with the pH probe quite interesting...
I did implement an auto top-off function in my device, but this is just to make sure the nutrient tank doesn't become dry and kills the pump... The fact that the pH will become higher than desired is compensated with the pH control function, which adjusts it to the pH set-point... Then I still have a nutrient solution which is out of range, because no nutrients are added. But this causes the plants no harm on a short time basis (I'll still check my tank on a daily basis) and will be adjusted manually for now, until I incorporate EC monitoring and dosing, which is a part of the controller I'm going to build when the time is right (read, when I have the money for it...)...

Hi Billie,

Just wanted you to know I'm quietly following all of this after asking early questions...  Thanks for showing us so much!

You are quite welcome! This is a problem I had when I first started with Arduino. Lot's of people who had more experience in programming then me pointing out that I made rookie mistakes and giving me pieces of pseudo-code which didn't make sense to me...Ok, I learned allot by trial and error, but I made a promise to myself that when I made this project available to the public it should be presented in such a way that someone with no programming skills could also build one...
Also came across some people who didn't want to share their code, which is kinda not done since everything is open-source and probably code they got from someone else on this forum...

So if you got questions about this device...Ask and you will receive. ;)

superman

Great link to you tube you just gave me. I found the principle of fault tolerance in the float switches combined with the pH probe quite interesting...
I did implement an auto top-off function in my device, but this is just to make sure the nutrient tank doesn't become dry and kills the pump...

In my case I was also worried about the pump burning out (I don't know how likely this actually is, but better safe than sorry) and so i placed my lower float switch slightly above the water level where the pump sucks air and use that float switch to turn on and off my pump.

One thing that i have been thinking about as a precautionary measure. Is to measure the amount of time it takes to top off my tank from its low position to full position when water is at its maximum pressure. So if it takes 5 minutes to fill tank say

if lower float switch is low
turn on water
reset timer to 0
start timer

else if higher float switch is high or time exceeds 5 minutes
turn off water

Can you post your latest code?
Are you still having problems with the calibration of your pH meter?
Did you have to calibrate your temp/humidity sensor?

purgen

Hi! Very interested in your project. But can not download the sketch. please refresh

Go Up