Go Down

Topic: Switch hookup with relay (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hey all i have the following 5v relay board:

Please ignore the light bulb hook up. That was an example on the website that had the same relay :)

And i am looking to hook one of the relays up to a monetary switch:

Now this is what i am guessing is the way i connect the switch to the relay board:

Connecting the ground to both the left connector pads on the switch and shorting them together "presses" the button. I just want to make sure the hookup i have drawn there is the way it should be connected to that relay board?

So when i apply 5v to the pin 1 on the relay board (Arduino Digital pin 3 goes high) it will close the circuit in relay 1 which will act as if i "pressed" the button?

Do not connect the ground as it bypasses any isolation the relay gives you.

What would you suggest then, Grumpy_Mike?

Just as you had it but don't connect the ground.
Essentially your push button is shorting out the relay contacts which I gather is what you want.
Be careful about the current as normally relay contacts can handle more than push buttons so you need a button that can handle the current you are expecting the relay to switch.

Essentially your push button is shorting out the relay contacts which I gather is what you want.

If I  understood correctly, it's the other way round - the relay is shorting out the switch contacts to allow the Arduino to simulate the button being pressed.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Got it working by hooking it up via the common/normally open connections.

i saw this module but all the documentation i can find tells not much.
What i want to know is if i open the jumper and feed it with a supply if
both sides are really isolated.
Or is the Arduino ground always connected to the relay side?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131