Go Down

Topic: Need testers for a new IDE (Read 5523 times) previous topic - next topic

Josh Marinacci

I've been working on a brand new Arduino IDE written from scratch (though it borrows some code from the existing IDE).  The goal is to be easier to use, clearer, and with some fun new features.  (see attached image. note that the visual design isn't started yet.)

Right now the IDE is very alpha but I'm ready to start sharing it with people.  I'm look for some Mac users who would like to test it. Don't worry, it will be fully cross platform but I've only built the Mac.app bundles so far. (With luck we can eventually get it into the Mac store tool!).

Interested?

- J

Graynomad

I like the look, nice and clean, better font, line numbers, reference on hand etc. But I'd rather chew my own arm off rather than use a Mac :)

Let us know when you have it on the PC.

Does the serial monitor stay open so you don't have to relaunch it every time?

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Josh Marinacci

The serial monitor is attached to the code window, that way there is never any doubt about which serial port goes with which sketch.  The port will be automatically closed and reopened when uploading a sketch.

I like the look, nice and clean, better font, line numbers, reference on hand etc. But I'd rather chew my own arm off rather than use a Mac :)

Let us know when you have it on the PC.

Does the serial monitor stay open so you don't have to relaunch it every time?

______
Rob

Graynomad

The port will be automatically closed and reopened when uploading a sketch.

Something people have been wanting for a long time.

One more thing, does the program remember it's size and position between invocations?

______
Rob

Josh Marinacci

Yes. Per sketch.

The port will be automatically closed and reopened when uploading a sketch.

Something people have been wanting for a long time.

One more thing, does the program remember it's size and position between invocations?

______
Rob

Graynomad

Good, that's a real PITA with the standard IDE.

______
Rob

mmcp42

very interested in PC release
Mac - nah!
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Josh Marinacci

I've overhauled the build system and set up a server to make the builds repeatable.  That means we now have a *Windows* version.  Here's the zip:

http://hudson.joshy.org:9001/job/ArduinoX/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/ArduinoX-win.zip

Just unzip it and run the EXE. It has Java and the compiler bundled with it.  It runs on Windows 8. It *should* run on older versions of Windows down to XP, but I haven't actually tried them yet since I'm using Win8 for my job.

This build only has support for a few devices and examples, but it's easy to add more. Please try it out and tell me what bugs/features you want next.

Thanks.
Josh

Graynomad

Thanks Josh, at 92Mb I'll just have to look at this month's data usage, but I'll grab it as soon as I can.

______
Rob

Josh Marinacci

Yes, the downloads are a bit beefy still. I haven't had a chance to trim out unnecessary files from the JRE and gcc bundles.

Thanks Josh, at 92Mb I'll just have to look at this month's data usage, but I'll grab it as soon as I can.

______
Rob

Graynomad

It's no bigger than a standard IDE download (much smaller than 1.5) so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just did a 240Mb download though so I have to count the pennies for a while :)

_____
Rob

Josh Marinacci

I've just put up a new build that fixes a ton of bugs.  BTW, the Windows build is 64bit only.  I'm working on a 32bit build.

Josh Marinacci

Another new build is up.  Fixes some build issues and adds a settings screen to turn off full compiler output. I've also managed to slim down the Mac build by about 20 MB.  It's still my goal to get under 100MB.

http://hudson.joshy.org:9001/job/ArduinoX/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

Josh Marinacci

Actually, that build isn't any slimmer because I broke something. Fixed now.  Just over 100MB now.

I've also started a wiki page for the design and roadmap.

https://github.com/joshmarinacci/arduinox/wiki/Design-and-Roadmap

Josh Marinacci

I've added a Windows 32 build now. The avrtools seem to work underneath it, so I don't know if there's really a 32/64bit difference on the tools themselves.  The IDE and it's version of Java are now 32 or 64 bit depending on which zip you download.  Please try it out.  Thanks!

http://hudson.joshy.org:9001/job/ArduinoX/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/

Go Up