Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: new Mega 2560 not communicating with computer? error  (Read 809 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I just bought a new Mega 2560 and I'm having the same problem that many people seem to have.  Before I was using a Duemillanove and the program uploaded just fine.  I just get this error now with the Mega:
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

I definitely have the right microcontroller selected. I am connecting to a Mac OSX 10.8.2.

And while it seems something may have uploaded, the program is not working.  Also, the TX and RX lights did not blink during upload.  I've been researching this problem and the responses are confusing to me.   I noticed that this product has been discontinued, and I'm wondering if this is why?

Anyone know  the solution?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Do not multi-post.  Do not hijack threads.  I deleted your other post.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm sorry, hijack?  That seems like an extremely negative description of what I did.  I had no ill intentions.  Why can't we both get answers on the same page if we both have the same problem? What did I take from the other person?  I didn't know that posting in two places was against the policies of this forum, sorry if I  have violated protocol.  I would appreciate being treated with some amount of respect though, even if I have posted on the forum in a way  you don't like.  I just spent 64 dollars on this product, and I'm doing my best to find the help I need to make it work.  Thanks for your understanding and technical support.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Why can't we both get answers on the same page if we both have the same problem?

The other problem has not been resolved so there is no way for you or anyone else to know that the problems are the same.

What did I take from the other person?

Hijacking a thread typically creates a great deal of confusion and delays help for both people.  There's enough room on the forum for you each to have your own threads.  I promise.

Thanks for your ... technical support.

I volunteer my time to help.  I do not provide "technical support".  If you would like to hire me for my services send me a personal message.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

What version of it the IDE are you using?

Turn on verbose output in the preferences and paste the results here between code tags.

Keep in mind that the Duemilanove and Mega have very little in common.  They use different USB to serial chip, different microcontroller, different bootloader, etc. 

Why can't we both get answers on the same page if we both have the same problem?
For reasons I don't understand, "hijacking" occurs more frequently on this forum than any I visit.  The "problem" of not being able to program the board is very common.  The cause and the symptoms are usually very different.  So posting "I have the exact same problem" leads to the kind of confusion that CB describes.

It's not meant to be hostile.  You aren't the first one.  Let it go and let's move on to finding your problem.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I am using the latest version of the Arduino software 1.0.3
Code:
Binary sketch size: 4,368 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
/Users//Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Users//Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -P/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/gx/z1dqw2lj6wn2phr5wcnslszc0000gn/T/build2499941154837957580.tmp/photosensorservomega.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 18:52:52
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users//Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users//.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
         Using Programmer              : wiring
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: wiring_open(): releasing DTR/RTS
avrdude: wiring_open(): asserting DTR/RTS
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Thanks for your advice.

Rome, Italy
View Profile

I see you are (the uploader is) trying to use port /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, which is not correct. On a Mac you should have a /dev/tty.usbmodem<something> port. Can you check if you see it (with the Mega attached) from the System Profiler/USB, or from a terminal window (ls /dev/tty.*), and in the Arduino IDE?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

On a Mac, the serial port will be named something with "usbmodem" in it.   Note that this is different from the Duemillnove which will have been named "usbserial"

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Oh my gosh I think it just uploaded!  The correct lights lit up and it finished really quickly.  I have to try it and see if it works.  Thanks a bunch!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

yeah, it works.  Glad that was so easy, thanks, what do I owe ya?  *big hugs*

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: