Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Karma?  (Read 4377 times)
TX
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

What is karma? Please post below and help me out.

As you have had it explained, I'll add that there is a good Mod (modification) for SMF forums that force you to give a reason for the karma so that there are no mysteries as to what it was given for. I know because I have an SMF forum that uses it. I personally don't like the fact that negative karma has been disabled. It's like Facebook - you can only "like" something, you can't "dislike" something - but we all know that people dislike things just as well. I don't like trying to create a feel-good everybody-gets-a-trophy world when we all know that's not the way life is.

Another thing is I see is that this forum is still running SMF 1.1.17 which is long been outdated. They can upgrade it for free so I wonder why they are using a version that is so outdated. The latest version is SMF 2.0.4.  smiley-confuse

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Good deal. I guess a minimum of 5 posts in order to give karma is not too bad.

I personally don't like the fact that negative karma has been disabled. It's like Facebook - you can only "like" something, you can't "dislike" something - but we all know that people dislike things just as well. I don't like trying to create a feel-good everybody-gets-a-trophy world when we all know that's not the way life is.
I use other forums that have negative karma, and at first, some users would abuse it in a flame war. But after a while, it became a good tool. If some newbie gave karma to a user that suggested something incorrect, we could counter that with negative karma.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I just tried Chrome 24.0.1312.57 and I can't see the + either. Must be version dependant, what have you guys got?

[Edit] yes as soon as I posted this I was able to give karma
Ignore me, I didn't see the extra posts.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:01:52 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

TX
View Profile

I use other forums that have negative karma, and at first, some users would abuse it in a flame war. But after a while, it became a good tool. If some newbie gave karma to a user that suggested something incorrect, we could counter that with negative karma.

Simply having both + and - karma can hardly result in a flame war anyway. There are sufficient controls built-in to stop that - I know all about SMF forums, I'm an expert at running them. As it is, you can have a similar thing happening with only positive karma - the groups that have formed cliques on the forum (all forums have this happen) will give each other positive karma all the time and the result will be a biased total. IMHO - you either use the full karma system or not at all.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

@Graynomad: Same version as yours.

@modeller: Now you are going to start the "turd stir"! I am a big proponent of karma in both directions, but I felt like I was standing alone against the masses here when the forum reintroduced karma a while back.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,123348.15.html

edit: ...and you are correct. The + and - did not start the flame war. It was only used as a weapon in that war.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:25:02 am by SurferTim » Logged

Beijing
Skype name habib.derbyshire
View Profile

I think you just don't see your own.
LOL if only one could see their own "karma++" button!

What is man's best friend? The breadboard!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: