Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Mega 2560 R3 - Many many serial devices  (Read 2178 times)
nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Arduino hasn't adapted for those chips yet.
And probably never will be as they aren't very popular.

That said I think I saw an Xmega Arduino clone a while back, maybe someone has done a port.

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

United States
View Profile

Well.. maybe 4 of the new
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=ATSAM3X8E
instead of mucking around with the other stuff   smiley-eek  thanks for the tips on the other, I got really excited with that price and capability. It looks like the Xmegaduino is rolling on that chip but I don't want to play with beta stuff for this smiley-sad

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Which parts of this are you interested in?

– USB 2.0 Device/Mini Host: 480 Mbps, 4-kbyte FIFO, up to 10 bidirectional
  Endpoints, dedicated DMA
– Up to 4 USARTs (ISO7816, IrDA®, Flow Control, SPI, Manchester and LIN support) and one UART
– 2 TWI (I2C compatible), up to 6 SPIs, 1 SSC (I2S), 1 HSMCI (SDIO/SD/MMC) with up to 2 slots
– 9-Channel 32-bit Timer/Counter (TC) for capture, compare and PWM mode,
  Quadrature Decoder Logic and 2-bit Gray Up/Down Counter for Stepper Motor
– Up to 8-channel 16-bit PWM (PWMC) with Complementary Output, Fault Input, 12-bit
  Dead Time Generator Counter for Motor Control
– 32-bit Real Time Timer (RTT) and RTC with calendar and alarm features
– 16-channel 12-bit 1Msps ADC with differential input mode and programmable gain stage
– One 2-channel 12-bit 1 Msps DAC
– One Ethernet MAC 10/100 (EMAC) with dedicated DMA
– Two CAN Controller with eight Mailboxes

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
View Profile

A simpler approach might be to program 12 avrs that talk to those devices and then hang off a spi/i2c bus with your mega. With this set-up, you can easily add or subtract additional receivers and implement your own protocol.

United States
View Profile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fairduino/smartduino-open-system-by-former-arduinos-manufact
I just found this project, it looks like they are developing a mini board for the Due processor, which would allow me to simply design a PCB using their connectors (not even need to connect their "bus" necessarily) but save me tons of money on the fab/assembly as I won't have to pay the extra for extra fine pitch or BGA chips... I'm kinda digging that.

United States
View Profile

A simpler approach might be to program 12 avrs that talk to those devices and then hang off a spi/i2c bus with your mega. With this set-up, you can easily add or subtract additional receivers and implement your own protocol.

This seems similar to what pylon suggested at the beginning of the thread (I didn't understand the implications of it much then) I kinda like the additional processing power offered by the full chips though as they aren't very expensive, but it seems like that would be a lot easier to implement!

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I quite like the idea of multiple CPUs, I've just designed a board that has two. But it's not easier than multiple UARTs, it can't be because either way you have to deal with X UARTs but with the CPUs you have to add a protocol on top of that and also figure out how to program all these chips, especially if they are SMDs that you can't remove from the board.

That said with multiple CPUs you can maybe offload some pre-processing of the data and they can also implement a much larger FIFO. That may be enough incentive to go that way.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: