Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Use of Arduino In Custom Vending Machine  (Read 2874 times)
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So if you push out the bottom package from the bottom of a stack of packages,   all the rest of the packages
in the stack are going to fall on top of your pushing device.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Here's an ironic twist from my days in college: CompScis had to take a version of Numerical Analysis which had no programming.  MEs has to take a version of Numerical Analysis that was all programming.
I think the idea is to learn how to do it the other way, whatever it is. If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Having CompSci types learn that not everything needs a computer solution makes them understand that less than half the battle as a programmer is getting the code to work.

Having the ME's learn how to use computers to do the hard stuff gives them an advantage when real-life problems arise. Use a computer to analyze a variety of solutions, instead of the back of an envelope to find one solution.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The below actuator has 18" stroke and is on sale for $70. These actuators have internal limit switches, so a simple relay setup can drive them full stroke both ways.

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?products_id=55&osCsid=8287002ebc4d1dfc7d9aec80310130fc

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

So if you push out the bottom package from the bottom of a stack of packages,   all the rest of the packages
in the stack are going to fall on top of your pushing device.

We have a "pushing block" in the design that takes the place of the package that is being dispensed so the stack remains at the same height until the actuator is fully retracted.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I think the idea is to learn how to do it the other way...

Sort of.  Numerical Analysis for a CompSci was theoretical math (e.g. what is the Runge–Kutta method and how can it be correctly implemented on a digital computer).  The idea is that a CompSci's role is to make the computer correctly and efficiently perform advanced math.

Numerical Analysis for an engineer was practical programming (e.g. when would I use the Runge–Kutta method and how can a computer help).  The idea is that an Engineer's role is to apply the CompSci's work to the physical world.

Collaborating on homework with someone from the other discipline is an excellent opportunity.  Shooting down Scud missiles and moon landings are the end result.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: