Go Down

Topic: To solder or not solder - That is the question! (Read 625 times) previous topic - next topic

Fujo

Hi,

My first Arduino arrived today and I have been messing around with it. I have a LCD but everywhere I read, it needs to have male pin headers soldered to it. I don't have a soldering iron at the moment - spent my last few Euro on the kit so it will be a while before I can get one. Is it possible to temporarily use the LCD without soldering it?

Grumpy_Mike

I would say no, but I have seen people jam the header into the holes. It is most unsatisfactory though because you do not get a steady connection.

Fujo

That's frustrating! No display for a while so!

cr0sh

That's frustrating! No display for a while so!

How about going "old school"?

Get a length of broomstick (about a foot long), with one end cut flat. Mark a center point on the end, then use a drill to drill out a hole. Drive a long wood screw into place (tightly), then cut the head off. File the end to a point (doesn't have to be too sharp, btw). Heat the end up on a stove (a gas stove is best), then tin the end with rosin-core solder. Hold it like you would a dagger. The point won't hold the heat long, but it might be good enough to get a few wires soldered. This of course is assuming you have ever soldered before. If you have -never- soldered before, disregard everything above; it will be waaaay too dangerous and messy to try to learn this way...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy