Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Controlling High Voltage 7 Segment Display using MAX7219  (Read 983 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
anybody had success with MAX7219 high voltage led configuration [http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1196], can suggest transistor models I can use for Q1, Q2 & Q3, I'm planning to drive digits each having segments rated 9V / 30mA.

Please share the experience on this if anybody allready done this it will be a Great help. 
Thanks. 

South England
View Profile

Wouldn't the bog-standard BC547 be ok for this? The max. collector current is 100mA and the maximum voltages are more than high enough.

View Profile

Thanks for the reply, but what about Q2, its a FET ? ... can anybody help me on this..

South England
View Profile

Looks like a P-Channel MOSFET. I'll bet there's a cheap "standard" one people tend to use for this sort of thing, but I don't have a part number off the top of my head to give you!

EDIT: You could try a parametric search on the component supplier's website of your choice, to find which ones are suited to your requirements smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:48:31 pm by BulletMagnet83 » Logged

View Profile

Looks like a P-Channel MOSFET. I'll bet there's a cheap "standard" one people tend to use for this sort of thing, but I don't have a part number off the top of my head to give you!

EDIT: You could try a parametric search on the component supplier's website of your choice, to find which ones are suited to your requirements smiley

thanks for the info, any possibility of using a digital pot like MCP413 or AD5204, to control the brightness of 7 seg displays  by limiting voltage, instead of PWM ?

South England
View Profile

I'd just do it in software by sending the appropriate commands to the 7219. Why add extra components and complexity if you don't have to? smiley

View Profile

First thanks for the reply, the problem is I find many threads with problematic situations on this, so I decided go in that way... seems much promising. If you know please provide me some more detailed info about configuration of controlling high voltage 7 segment intensity directly with MAX7219.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: