Go Down

Topic: Uno Rev 3 and J2 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Atheling

Cool thanx for the answers maybe do some investigating, for future use or something

early days for me so just getting as much info as i can.

MarkT

They are not really intended to be filled with solder, its just that the automatic PCB production process addeds solder paste to all the pads indiscriminantly - you have to solder-suck them out to add a header if you actually want to use them (which most people won't)
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Docedison

Part of tha board construction involved a wave soldering machine... for all the thru hole parts and that's when those holes were filled in. There are too many for any hand soldering.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Atheling

Thanx Bob, You learn something new every day, if in the future i start to use that future at least i know what they are for and how to use them

majenko

Part of tha board construction involved a wave soldering machine... for all the thru hole parts and that's when those holes were filled in. There are too many for any hand soldering.

Bob

Have they never heard of peelable solder mask?

And if I had designed the board with those pads, they would have been there so that you could implement RTS, CTS, and other modem handshaking signals, in the USB interface firmware.

The old FT232 chips they used to use provided them, but I don't know if they had them broken out into pads or not.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Go Up