Go Down

Topic: 8x32 Sure Electronics Dot Matrix Display causes the Arduino to lose power?! (Read 318 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi there,
I just wanted to play around with a dot matrix display with a HT1632C Chip. Cabeling shoud be pretty easy .. I connected everything like here--> http://scuola.arduino.cc/lesson/d37dc9b/Interfacing_Arduino_UNO_with_SURE_electronics_LED_Dot_Matrix
The thing that I did differently though is that I connected the display directly to the arduino. From what I read that should be working too. I saw some setups on youtube where there was no external power supply either.

BUT:
The problem is that when I connect the dot matrix board to GND and 5V of the arduino, the arduino poweres off until I remove either GND or 5V. I tried it with 2 different Arduinos so the board doesn't seem to be the issue here.
When that didn't work I also tried a 9V/5A power supply that I connected to the Arduino to supply more current...no effect.

Does anybody have an Idea what the problem could be?

Here are some pictures of my hardware/setup:

thanks in advance

Simpson_Jr

It's hard to see how you connected boards, but it still might be a power issue.
The voltage regulator on an arduino can't handle much current. If your led-module asks too much, there will be a voltage drop, which shuts down your arduino.

You could solve that connecting grounds of both arduino and led module and using a separate 5 volt supply (1 amp or preferably more) for your Led-matrix.

There's no voltage regulator on my 16x32 sure display, so be sure not to feed it more as 5v.

Thanks very much for your answer!!

I think I found out what went wrong here...and it kinda embarasses me a little ;)

The 16pin cable seems to be mirrored in some way, a signal giong in at the upper left corner will be comin out at the down left side. Is that a normal behaviour of that kind of cable?? I'm glad that I didn't destroy anything.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy