Go Down

Topic: University project,Lilypad Heart rate monitor (Read 2453 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello there
I'm on my last year in Beng as an electrical and electronic engineering student and as this year's dissertation i chose to do a Lilypad based heart rate monitor on a t shirt,I bought a starter kit from coolcomponents and the lilypad is working just fine i tested it today,i've also ordered a heart rate sensor: http://pulsesensor.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/pulse-sensor-amped <--- this one to be exact ,so what i am more interested in doing is making my own wrist display and connecting it through wireless technology like bluetooth i guess, with the lilypad.In the starter kit it is included a temperature sensor and a vibe board,so i'm thinking of adding those 2 as well,like temp sensor gives the temp of the weather somewhere on the display and the vibe board to vibe when heart rate rises a lot for example when running so you can look at the display to see your heart rate.There is one small thing i would like to add as well but i really don't know if it's possible or not,i would like to get my hands on a blood oxygen sensor and give oxygen levels in the display as well.The thing is i really don't know much about building my own display or which and how wireless technologies work in microcontrollers(the course doesn't cover this till after christmas but i need a head start to finish my project early),could you give me some advice on where to look for the display or learn more about wireless in microcontrollers

PaulS

could you give me some advice on where to look for the display

What kind of display? A 16 x 2 character display? A graphic LCD where you can draw stuff as well as show text?

Where in the world is Beng? Sending you to a supplier on the other side of the world isn't doing you any favors.

There is one small thing i would like to add as well but i really don't know if it's possible or not,i would like to get my hands on a blood oxygen sensor and give oxygen levels in the display as well.

Getting your hands on one, and being able to get sensible data from it, are two different things.

or which and how wireless technologies work in microcontrollers

You know, there are no rules against reading ahead. In fact, if you ask, I'll bet it's even encouraged.

A graphic display would be best i think,just showing numbers won't be good enough for getting top grades.
I'm in the uk so the provider is actually quite near me :P ,sorry i guess i should have fixed my profile a bit better so my location shows,anyway about the blood oxygen sensor could someone tell me if i'll be able to connect both the display and the sensor in one wireless technology for the lilypad(i heard a friend of mine that bluetooth needs one micro-controller  per input)so i don't want to buy the sensor and then never use it.

PaulS

I don't understand where wireless comes into your project. Explain, please.

Things like XBees and bluetooth are used to get data from one place to another. The XBees have the ability to have sensors directly connected, and send that sensor data periodically/when it changes. But, what sensors are to be wireless and which are to be wired?

Given that you appear to be trying to make a wearable device (at least as a proof of concept; the LCDs available are not generally watch sized, and that is what you'd need for a real wearable), I don't see where the need for wireless comes from.

You also haven't mentioned what data is to be transmitted, how far, how often, or how fast.

I'm in the uk so the provider is actually quite near me

Which one? Sparkfun? That's where I'd go, but they don't appear, from a quick peak at MY map, to be anywhere near you. Could be that I need a new map.

anyway about the blood oxygen sensor could someone tell me if i'll be able to connect both the display and the sensor in one wireless technology for the lilypad

Yes. Or no. Don't you think that it just might depend on which sensor you are talking about and the wireless technology you are referring to?

A graphic display would be best i think,just showing numbers won't be good enough for getting top grades.

An integrated project, thoughtfully designed, working, and documented is going to make more of a difference than a graphic display vs. a character display.

Nov 06, 2012, 05:41 pm Last Edit: Nov 06, 2012, 05:54 pm by dimitris127 Reason: 1
Sorry for poorly explaining my thoughts anyway,

The lilypad will be somewhere near the chest area of the t-shirt so,the display will be wireless,the oxymeter(the oxygen sensor) wired to the display or wireless on lilypad(i really don't know which sensors for blood oxygen are out there,i'm currently searching for it),heart rate sensor wired to lilypad(which i want it to send the reading to the display),temperature sensor wired and vibe sensor wired on lilypad.

So the distance of the data to be transmitted is from the hand to the chest so basically the distance of my hand which i'm pretty sure is not over 50 to 75 cm

I know that a project needs to be carefully managed at every angle to get top grades but that's why i want to have more quality into it (btw thanks for reading and helping out even a bit)

Go Up