Go Down

Topic: Building a CAN API for Arduino DUE (Read 138 times) previous topic - next topic

keija

I was able to order a DUE today, so I'll join the ranks soon :)

I really appreciate it, that you use both CAN-Transceivers! This will be great for using it as a Gateway!

that_kid

I have my Due and now it's time to order the transceivers.  I'm going to get both the 234 and 235's.  Which ever ones I don't use in the car I'll use on the work bench.  Thanks for tackling this.

Palliser

Great for you keija and that_kid. Do as I did: Request a couple of samples of each transceiver to Atmel. I have some sample sketches running OK on my Due, using a combination of Atmel and Arduino library files. The goal is to occupy as much as Arduino files and as less as Atmel files as possible. I also hope to run my first real test these next days interfacing Due with a battery manager system (with XC167CI - by Infineon and AT91SAM7).

Palliser

I wanted to share another of the tests I am working now with Arduino Due using the CAN shield. The test consists of making Due read CAN data from a commercial OBD II code reader. This will prepare the ground for more tests like convert Due as a OBD2 simulator system generating some DTC codes to be read by the code reader and finally to make Arduino Due read some real DTC codes from my car (Honda-Oddysey 2002) or any other car under OBD2.

As some of you know, ODB II stands for On Board Diagnostics, level 2. OBD II is a federally mandated engine & emissions management standard for all passenger cars sold in 1996 and beyond. ODB II uses CAN bus Dual Wire like Arduino Due (ISO 11898-1/SAE J2284).

For my first test I used an Actron CP9125 pocket scanner (with a 89C71CC01CA microcontroller and TJA1050 CAN transceiver).

Here a the schematic of interconnection between the code reader and Arduino Due and a picture of both systems. So far, Due can read from the reader ID 0x07DF the following data: 02 01 00 99 99 99 99 99 which is a request data to start reading DTC codes. I am very excited exploring CAN protocol in Arduino Due and OBD2 systems. I'd recommend to get ready if you want to embark on this journey.

that_kid

Excellent news, I'm just waiting on my parts to arrive from mouser.com  I was going to order the engineering samples but I needed some parts so I just went ahead and get it all.  Next stop is to see if my local radio shack has the shield that you are using. 

Go Up