Go Down

Topic: Super Capacitors!!! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

These things are simply amazing! - I dialed in 2.5v (the caps are rated 2.7v) and my switching regulator was pumping out 8 amps, I totally maxed the regulator out so much, the 12v little lead acid battery was giving as much as it could handle, my Arduino died while charging these things..... I got a feeling if shorted out one of these i'd have an instant spot welder!

not going to find out!, but I bet i can get an easy 100+ amps (for brief moment of time to weld my hand to the table with)

Grumpy_Mike

but I bet i can get an easy 100+ amps

No super caps are limited in the peek current they can supply. The data sheet will tell you what this is.

Bajdi

I saw a video on youtube recently where someone had replaced his car battery with a couple of super capacitors. Car started perfectly, so some of these super capacitors can definately provide quite a bit of current.

MarkT

I saw a video on youtube recently where someone had replaced his car battery with a couple of super capacitors. Car started perfectly, so some of these super capacitors can definately provide quite a bit of current.

There are different grades with different internal resistances, but since the electrodes are finely divided carbon, internal resistances are much higher than electrolytics - less sparking, think of them more like batteries(*) than capacitors!

However the energy storage is much much higher than electrolytics so that a few cycles of charging up fully and then shorting out will raise the temperature considerably - probably reducing device lifetime too!

(*) low capacity batteries with awful voltage regulation (but high current charge/discharge and wonderful deep-cycle lifetimes)
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

retrolefty

Then that would have been a fraud/fake video designed to impress the inexperienced. Super caps are among the favorite subjects to 'inspire' the inexperienced and untrained in electronics fundamentals.

At least that is my opinion.

cjdelphi

fake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWMF3VkI6U

The cap's i have are rated at an impendence of 14 MilliOhms  and ESR < 4? whatever  "< 4 times" is  but these things have some kick, and the guy starting the car with these can't be fake!? you can even see the alternator charging the caps...

retrolefty

fake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWMF3VkI6U

The cap's i have are rated at an impendence of 14 MilliOhms  and ESR < 4? whatever  "< 4 times" is  but these things have some kick, and the guy starting the car with these can't be fake!? you can even see the alternator charging the caps...

Nothing you've said still makes me believe the following is true:

"where someone had replaced his car battery with a couple of super capacitors."

MarkT

Be interesting to compare a 33Ah car battery to say a 5Ah lead-acid + super cap array.  The 5Ah would then be deep cycle AGM for best
life and performance, the super caps do the starting and the lead-acid replenishes leakage loss in the super caps?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

fungus

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Docedison

That is one Impressive capacitor... When I was a youngster a 40uF ccap was a "Biggie" @ 450V dc, but not nearly in the same class of energy storage.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up