Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Project 02 (Spaceship Interface)  (Read 3611 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm making my first steps in the world of electronics, so I'm quite a beginner and still don't understand many of the basic concepts.

I was watching the circuit of project 2 and I don't understand what's the purpose of the 10K resistor. What would have happened if the resistor wasn't there?
Could I have also placed the resistor "before" the button, i.e. between the 5v power source and the button?

Thanks,
Eli.

View Profile

I haven't seen the project circuit, but you said it was connected to a button, so it's probably a pull-down resistor.

View Profile

Hi cepa, thanks for you reply.

No need to see the circuit. Let's say I have this: 5v -> button -> 10K resistor -> ground.

As I mentioned in my post, I'm a beginner and I'm not familiar with the term pull-down/pull-up.
So I've googled it, and from what I understand if we didn't have this pull-down resistor, then the current will be "floating" and not stable. We use this resistor only to stable the current?
Could I cause a short circuit if there was no resistor at all?

Thanks,
Eli.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

Your diagram is missing where the connection to the Arduino is.

Your current diagram only shows a button "shorting" the 5V to Ground through the 10K resistor. So yes you will create a short circuit if you ommit the 10K resistor and press the button.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: