Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Difference between EEPROM and flash memory  (Read 4668 times)
Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I think it's just the picture - it's listed as 8 pins. The datasheet won't load - the microwave is on see, of which my router is cleverly sat next to. Long story.  smiley-cool

I loaded the datasheet and it was 16...

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

UK
God Member
View Profile

I loaded the datasheet and it was 16...
Ah - I'll continue the search.

Why the point re FAT file systems? Does the SD library use it? I haven't yet used the library?

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Why the point re FAT file systems? Does the SD library use it?

Yes.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

http://uk.farnell.com/spansion/s25fl256sagnfi001/memory-flash-256mbit-8wson/dp/2136254

That part is a type of Flash memory, not SRAM. It does have 16 pins.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

UK
God Member
View Profile

Crossroads, we've got on to talking about using external flash to store logged data as opposed to SD cards.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

That chip would hold a lot then.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Crossroads, we've got on to talking about using external flash to store logged data as opposed to SD cards.

I just remembered you were talking about storing data tables in there. It's easy to use fixed addresses in the memory chip for that sort of thing instead of going through all the layers of FAT (hah...I made a pun!)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:30:10 pm by fungus » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I could agree with that. Easy to control where you're accessing.

UK
God Member
View Profile

For those lookup tables as part of my code, I'm happy to save these in the onboard flash using PROGMEM. I plan to use this external flash for logged data, but looks like I need to do some reading up on file systems, how to address certain bits of the flash etc etc. Any good reading links?

Going back to the quoted comment below, I do not follow the logic?

Please note that your going to end up coping everything to and from internal sram constantly so your not necessarily during yourself a favor trying to use offboard sram. 

Surely that's not particularly a problem, as I mentioned before - PCs for example use external RAM. Surely it's better to copy to external RAM, than to not and then run out of internal RAM?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:37:43 pm by jtw11 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: