Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 9 wire stepper question  (Read 734 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, new to the forum, and definitely a newcomer to this subject!

I'm hoping I can get some advice on running a 9 wire stepper motor, pictures attached,
Code 57SH-52A9D 22.5Ώ 0.9deg, JAPAN 16 May 86 DB

I have successfully got two 4 wire steppers running, using a Uno plus a stepper shield,
but I have no idea of where to go with this motor which I'm hoping will have a lot more torque.

I think I have identified the pairs on this motor using the 'easy to turn' test.
All other combinations lock the motor.

Nine wires...
White           1
Mauve   2
Orange   5
Blue           6
Green   4
Brown   3
Yellow   8
Red      7
Black   ?????

I'm scratching my head over  what the 12th wire is for?
Will I be able to hook this up to my '2 servo - 2 stepper - 4 DC motor' Arduino shield?

Your help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

* DSCN0948.JPG (130.26 KB, 640x480 - viewed 16 times.)

* DSCN0947.JPG (108.1 KB, 640x480 - viewed 22 times.)

* DSCN0944.JPG (116.94 KB, 640x480 - viewed 25 times.)

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Given the 0.9 degree label I would guess it's a 9 wire unipolar motor. One of those 9 wires (probably black) will have half the resistance to any of the other 8 wires.

Do you have an ohmmeter? Create a chart and start writing down the resistances between each of the wires. The arrangement should become clear pretty quickly and should be much more reliable than your "hard-to-turn" method.

As far as driving the motor goes you just need 8 transistors. You can find lots of examples of 5 wire stepper wiring (usually using a ULN2003); you just have twice as many coils.

View Profile

Thanks for the suggestion; I've created the chart but I'm not sure what it's telling me?

Can you see a meaningful pattern?

Thanks

Chris

* screenshot.1.jpg (124.98 KB, 643x374 - viewed 54 times.)

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Yes, it's a unipolar motor. The white wire would be connected to ground and each of the remaining wires would be energized (connected to ~5V) in sequence to make the motor turn. 

Take a look at this tutorial on 5 wire steppers to understand the internal layout. For the stepper in the example, the red wire would be the same as your white wire.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Yes, it's a unipolar motor. The white wire would be connected to ground and each of the remaining wires would be energized (connected to ~5V) in sequence to make the motor turn.

Alternatively (and probably easier), connect the white wire to your positive supply, and use transistors or a ULN2803A to connect each of the other wires to ground in turn.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

Thank you!

There are moments when I ask myself why I am going down this path.
Than goodness I'm retired and have the time.
I feel as though I'm starting a marathon while I'm still learning to crawl!

Cheers

Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: