Go Down

Topic: 5V Pin Current rateing? (Read 656 times) previous topic - next topic

MarkT

The actual header itself won't take 1A satisfactorily I fear - its not a high-current connector AFAIK.  For high currents I'd recommend using an external regulator with suitable heat-sinking and high current wiring.  Anyone have a reference to the actual datasheet for the headers
used on Arduinos BTW?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

cjdelphi

I use 7 - 9 volts for the DC jack.

To be quite honest, i'd buy a 5v regulator and use that, you don't need to risk damaging anything that way.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-pcs-L7805CV-L7805-7805-IC-Voltage-Regulator-IC-5V-1-5A-Integrated-Circuit-/270925277609?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3f1467a9a9

if you need more power, look at a switching regulator (easy enough to build, but it's a more expensive semiconductor to buy)..

CrossRoads

The headers are generic parts like this
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1016/specs

Rating says 3A.

Diode from barrel jack to Vin pin is only good for 1A tho.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

RocketMan_Len

Do not do that without putting a diode from 5V to Vin. Anode at 5V, cathode to Vin.
The regulator used is susceptible to damage from being reverse driven.

Dumb question - will any rectifier diode do...?  Would a 1N4001 (or equivalent) be sufficient, or should one with a higher current rating or blocking voltage be used?

If one is capable, I suppose that removing the regulator would be an option...   :)

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up