Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Can I replace the FT232R with FT231X/FT230X?  (Read 3409 times)
Israel
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Was thinking of using the FT231X or FT230X instead of the FT232R for USB-UART connection since it's almost %50 cheaper.
Anything I should know before using the new chip?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:49:18 pm by szangvil » Logged

View Profile

"What’s the difference between the FT232R, FT230X and FT231X?

Answer:  All three ICs provide a USB-to-UART bridge function.  In addition to the usual TXD and RXD serial data signals, the FT232R and FT231X provide a full complement of modem handshake signals.  We call this a “Full UART”.  The FT230X does not have the full complement of handshake signals and is targeted at applications where a simplified handshake scheme is sufficient (RTS/CTS, Xon/Xoff or none).  We assigned the designation of “Basic UART” for the simplified handshake. The advantage of the FT230X is that because it has less handshake signals, it comes in a smaller package.

The FT230X and FT231X are members of the newly released X-Chip series of USB device (slave) interface ICs.  One primary feature of the X-Chip series is its support for the USB Battery Charging specification by providing signals to indicate when the chip is connected to a USB Dedicated Charging Port (DCP).  A DCP allows higher charging currents for battery-powered devices, meaning reduced charging times. The X-Chip Series targets smaller device footprints, lower power, and lower system costs as a result of its extended feature set and attractive unit prices."

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Short answer, AFAIK there's no reason not to use them. I've just laid out aboard with the FT232R but am thinking of changing it to use the 230X.

One difference seems to be that the X chip needs some RC components on the USB + and - inputs. At least according to the recommended schematic.

EDIT: Another difference, nobody seems to have stock of the 230X. That's a worry if this is a product.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:59:13 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Well if you are using an Arduino that requires the auto-reset feature to work you do need to have the USB UART control signals, either RTS or DTR as that is how the arduino IDE resets the board prior to a upload operation.

Lefty

View Profile

Short answer, AFAIK there's no reason not to use them. I've just laid out aboard with the FT232R but am thinking of changing it to use the 230X........
EDIT: Another difference, nobody seems to have stock of the 230X. That's a worry if this is a product.

______
Rob

I agree with Rob....you should use them, and I can't find the 230X either!

View Profile

Actually, you might want to try to find the FT230X at Mouser Electronics (mouser.com) because they have an extremely wide variety of components.

Israel
View Profile

Well, I see now that the 230X has no DTR, only CTS... the 231X has DTR

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Good point Lefty, the 230 only has RTS, that used to be OK for auto reset I think but I'm not sure these days. The 231 has all the signals so presumably it will toggle DTR in the same way as the 232 does.

you might want to try to find the FT230X at Mouser Electronics
I just did an Octopart search, it shows no stock anywhere. So I checked Mouser directly, 8000 in stock at $2.75. I guess Octopart isn't up to date although to be fair it's marked as a new product. Octopart normally my first port of call when looking for a part.

______
Rob

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Good point Lefty, the 230 only has RTS, that used to be OK for auto reset I think but I'm not sure these days. The 231 has all the signals so presumably it will toggle DTR in the same way as the 232 does.

you might want to try to find the FT230X at Mouser Electronics
I just did an Octopart search, it shows no stock anywhere. So I checked Mouser directly, 8000 in stock at $2.75. I guess Octopart isn't up to date although to be fair it's marked as a new product. Octopart normally my first port of call when looking for a part.

______
Rob

I believe for legacy reasons that IDE and/or AVRDUDE pulses both RTS and DTR to initate the auto reset function.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

(some redundancy here)

The Duemilanove used RTS thru a resistor (which was not installed) or DTR thru a cap to create a reset.

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-duemilanove-schematic.pdf

If RTS is still output, it would seem that the FT230X could work.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT230X.pdf

FT231X still supports DTR
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT231X.pdf

Be a nice price drop from the $4.50 for the FT232RL

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT230XS-R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvVkErl6zY%252bqR%252b6A%252bu%2f1HB5  $2.04
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT231XS-R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvVkErl6zY%252bqfBUiQa5NfR7  $2.12
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT232RL-REEL/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs5ceO8zL%252bTxyQLQIH6hE7q  $4.50

leadless packages appear to be in stock, SSOP parts not.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Israel
View Profile

I'll go with the 231X. Where can I download its EagleCad part? The latest version has only 232 and 230...

View Profile

Im not sure, but try

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en537026&redirects=cad

View Profile

If the site I suggested does not work, I do not have a clue on where else to go....We might have to do some research on it.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Make your own part. Don't ask me how though because I don't use Eagle, but it's usually a pretty easy procedure with these programs...oh hang on, we're talking about Eagle here smiley

______
Rob

Israel
View Profile

Couldn't find a part... I guess I could take some other SSOP-20 part and edit it...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: