Go Down

Topic: Controlling 50+ RGB LEDS using Arduino (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Freumar

Hahaha oh wow...That sound pretty basic that I missed...I am trying this right away and letting you know if that works!!

Freumar

It works perfectly now with one LED!! Thanks for diagnosing that really simple mistake, you saved me so much frustration!! And I'm still interested in the MOSFET transistors. When I reach higher currents, the transistors I have will need a bigger current to switch on than the Arduino can supply correct? Is it still worthwhile to switch over to MOSFETs? They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for to do the switching! If so, which of those 3 seem to be the best-fit or is there another one that is recommended other than the BUZ11??

Boffin1

Nov 12, 2012, 09:28 am Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 10:07 am by Boffin1 Reason: 1
The last one has typical 3v threshold voltage, the first 2 look like 4 v  so I would go for the last one.

Sorry I missed the grounds :-)  

Check AWOLs signature !
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

fungus

When I reach higher currents, the transistors I have will need a bigger current to switch on than the Arduino can supply correct?

Even with less, the Arduino probably shouldn't be supplying the current...

Is it still worthwhile to switch over to MOSFETs?

Is it working? No need to switch...
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

CrossRoads

Nov 12, 2012, 05:40 pm Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 05:41 pm by CrossRoads Reason: 1
When you get up to 3A , the MOSFETs will be a better way to go.
Where are you located?
I usually use digikey's search filter to find one.
What you want is:
- N-channel mosfet
- in stock
- logic level
- thru hole
then sort by cost
browse the resulting list, getting past the 1000 and 2000 qty prices,  looking for Low Rds (down in the 10's of milliohms) and low Gate Capacitance (for fast switching) with the needed power handling and package style that's comfortable to work with.

For example:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NTD5867NL-1G/NTD5867NL-1GOS-ND/2401422

If you can't order from digikey where you are, then look for those kinds of parameters in the parts from the source you can order from.
It needs to be Logic Level so the MOSFET turns on full with 4.5-5V.  Otherwise, you will need some buffering in front of the MOSFET, the output of that buffer will need to able to go to 10-12V to turn a Standard MOSFET full on.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up