Go Down

Topic: 'Additional' components in Arduino Uno schematic (Read 760 times) previous topic - next topic

dtokez

Hi all, I'm building another arduino compatible board. I'm working partly from the UNO schematics this time and I have noticed a few components that I haven't used before when building quick boards or when using the 328P on a breadboard. I guess they must have been included for a reason, but is it worth including some / any / all of them?

• R2 - 1M resistor between the XTAL pins?

• C6 - 100n cap between vcc and gnd?

• D2 - diode between rst and 5v?

• C4 - 100n between AREF and gnd

Thanks

retrolefty

Hi all, I'm building another arduino compatible board. I'm working partly from the UNO schematics this time and I have noticed a few components that I haven't used before when building quick boards or when using the 328P on a breadboard. I guess they must have been included for a reason, but is it worth including some / any / all of them?

• R2 - 1M resistor between the XTAL pins?

I think this is for better starting support for a 3 terminal ceramic resonator that Uno ships with these days, not needed if your using a two terminal crystal resonator.
    • C6 - 100n cap between vcc and gnd?

Such bypass caps mounted close to all the +5vdc power voltage inputs to the AVR chip are always a good practice.
    • D2 - diode between rst and 5v?

If you using the arduino DTR auto-reset function through a series .1 cap to the reset pin, then this diode from reset to Vcc solves a nasty intermittent lock-up symptom that can rear it's ugly head.
    • C4 - 100n between AREF and gnd

Yes, if your using the analog input pins with analogRead commands, this will help with noise floor of ADC.
    Lefty

[/list]

Thanks

dtokez

Thanks very much lefty, that is exactly the info I was looking for  :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
    To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
    via Egeo 16
    Torino, 10131
    Italy