Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 'Additional' components in Arduino Uno schematic  (Read 650 times)
South UK
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, I'm building another arduino compatible board. I'm working partly from the UNO schematics this time and I have noticed a few components that I haven't used before when building quick boards or when using the 328P on a breadboard. I guess they must have been included for a reason, but is it worth including some / any / all of them?

• R2 - 1M resistor between the XTAL pins?
  • C6 - 100n cap between vcc and gnd?
  • D2 - diode between rst and 5v?
  • C4 - 100n between AREF and gnd

Thanks

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hi all, I'm building another arduino compatible board. I'm working partly from the UNO schematics this time and I have noticed a few components that I haven't used before when building quick boards or when using the 328P on a breadboard. I guess they must have been included for a reason, but is it worth including some / any / all of them?

• R2 - 1M resistor between the XTAL pins?
    I think this is for better starting support for a 3 terminal ceramic resonator that Uno ships with these days, not needed if your using a two terminal crystal resonator.
    • C6 - 100n cap between vcc and gnd?
    Such bypass caps mounted close to all the +5vdc power voltage inputs to the AVR chip are always a good practice.
    • D2 - diode between rst and 5v?
    If you using the arduino DTR auto-reset function through a series .1 cap to the reset pin, then this diode from reset to Vcc solves a nasty intermittent lock-up symptom that can rear it's ugly head.
    • C4 - 100n between AREF and gnd
    Yes, if your using the analog input pins with analogRead commands, this will help with noise floor of ADC.
    Lefty

[/list]

Thanks

South UK
    God Member
    View Profile

Thanks very much lefty, that is exactly the info I was looking for  smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
    Jump to: