Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adruino Uno and programming chips  (Read 1046 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello all, this is my first post I would like to say hi as I don't see a introduction section.  I just received my Arduino Uno in the mail, coded my first blinking LED and I love it.  Now I have a sequence of blinking LED's I want to put in a project, but I don't want to use up my Arduino Uno for that.  Is there a way the Arduino Uno can program a chip to copy over the function that I programed onto the Uno.  How do I get the code I wrote in the Uno to a chip so I can make the project without loosing my Uno.

Thanks for the help in advance.
-Nick

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Hi.

The keyword is "standalone"...
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+standalone

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

So one way is to write your sketch and upload it into the Uno board. Then power off the board, remove the 328p chip from it's socket and move it to your standalone PCB or breadboard or wired into a larger project. Then just buy a new $5 328p chip/with bootloader preinstalled into your arduino board. Lather, rinse, and repeat as required. If you progress into burning your own bootloader on to blank chips you can save a couple of dollars per cycle.

Lefty

View Profile

sweet thanks for the info.  Is there a layout that I can see which pins do what for the 328p chip.

Thanks again.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,132610.msg997750.html#msg997750

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,132610.msg997797.html#msg997797

London
Edison Member
View Profile

So one way is to write your sketch and upload it into the Uno board. Then power off the board, remove the 328p chip from it's socket and move it to your standalone PCB or breadboard or wired into a larger project. Then just buy a new $5 328p chip/with bootloader preinstalled into your arduino board. Lather, rinse, and repeat as required. If you progress into burning your own bootloader on to blank chips you can save a couple of dollars per cycle.

Lefty

How do you do that if you've got a Uno with an SMD chip?

California
Faraday Member
View Profile

You don't; You use the Uno to program any new chip you get.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Lefty

Well of course you don't. The UNO SMD board was first released when there was a industry shortage/long lead time delay on the DIP 328p chips making the delivery of the standard Uno delayed/backordered. Today there is no good reason to buy a SMD uno over a DIP uno board, and several good reasons to buy the DIP version. Easy repair for damaged AVR chip. Easy development for standalone chips. Are they priced differently? Again a SMD Uno is a poor choice as long as the DIP version is available.

Lefty

London
Edison Member
View Profile

Well of course you don't. The UNO SMD board was first released when there was a industry shortage/long lead time delay on the DIP 328p chips making the delivery of the standard Uno delayed/backordered. Today there is no good reason to buy a SMD uno over a DIP uno board, and several good reasons to buy the DIP version. Easy repair for damaged AVR chip. Easy development for standalone chips. Are they priced differently? Again a SMD Uno is a poor choice as long as the DIP version is available.

Lefty

It was a present. I didn't buy it  smiley-sad

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Lefty

It was a present. I didn't buy it  smiley-sad

smiley-grin  Yes, I use to have an aunt that would buy me funny looking shirts for Christmas. The kind that would get a kid beat up in school if worn.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You can pick up the parts you need to make standalone board here for not much:
www.dipmicro.com
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/CPU-ARD328P  bootloaded arduino
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/ATMEGA328P-PU blank 328
16 MHz crystal
22 pf caps
100nF caps
10K resistor
28 pin socket
perfboard in different sizes
LEDs
current limit resistors, 220 ohm

follow the Arduino as ISP guide as one way to program the part.
Or get a standalone programmer such as
http://www.nkcelectronics.com/pocket-avr-programmer.html

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

London
Edison Member
View Profile

smiley-grin  Yes, I use to have an aunt that would buy me funny looking shirts for Christmas. The kind that would get a kid beat up in school if worn.

Lefty

It's a long time since I was in school and nobody here will beat me up for having an SMD Uno, will they? smiley-sweat

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: