Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno with a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 in 28 pin DIL package (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

Personally I never use DIPs these days, but people still like them for prototyping.

Surprising. Does that mean you don't do any hand assembly yourself these days, or do you do all your hand assembly with SMD?

My experience is that life's just too short to hand assemble SMD. (But I've never claimed to be the quickest person with a soldering iron.)
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Graynomad

Truth is I hate prototyping so I put my faith in data sheets and go straight to a PCB.

That said I don't actually make a lot these days but my current project is a dual processor board, I see no reason the design shouldn't be 99% correct as most hardware is quite simple these days. 99% is close enough and at $65 for 10 PCBs it's cheaper than the SMD breakout boards I'd have to buy as many of the components aren't available in PTH.

I'm not that experienced with soldering SMDs but with a hot-air station I haven't found it that hard so far.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

westfw

possible that nxp has studied the market and come to the conclusion that this ... "hobbyist" niche is not where they can make sufficient profit to float their boat.

Oh, certainly.  Just like most of the major chip vendors.  But if they had decided to ignore it entirely, I don't think you'd see products like the 28-pin DIP, or even the more-recently announced 20-pin SOIC.  They seem to be aiming at some non-traditional customers of SOME kind.

I think it's because "real engineers" of the mega-profit sort don't actually get to spend a lot of time "evaluating" new CPUs.  You get handed a decision, or pick your old favorite, or base a decision on non-interesting criteria like raw speed, supplier reliability, or price.  An professional engineer who is actually "evaluating" a chip on more artistic technical merits is closer to a hobbyist than most of them will care to admit (admittedly, of the techno-hobbyist type, rather than the less-technical arduino user. But it still sucks to struggle through that first "blink" attempt...)

twice

I am seeing that MikroElektronika site has: C, Basic and Pascal compilers for ARM, PIC, PIC32, AVR, 8051.
see: http://www.mikroe.com/forum/
The question is, are these people serious? They seem to have all major compilers possible for all major microcontrollers on the market.

Example:
Code written for mikroBasic ARM compiler
Code: [Select]
' * Project name:
'     Pwm_Demo (Demo on using mikroE's PWM library functions)
' * Copyright:
'     (c) Mikroelektronika, 2011.
' * Revision History:
'     20110105:
'       - initial release;
' * Description:
'     This is a simple demonstration of PWM library, which is being used for
'     control of the ARM's PWM module. The module is initialized and started,
'     after which the PWM's Duty Ratios can be adjusted by means of 4 buttons
'     connected to pins PA0, PA1, PA2 and PA3. The changes can be monitored on the PWM
'     output pins (PB0 and PB2).
' * Test configuration:
'     MCU:             LM3S9B95
'                      http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm3s9b95.pdf
'     Dev.Board:       EasyMx v7 for STELLARIS(R) ARM(R)
'                      http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/792/easymx-pro-v7-for-stellaris-arm/
'     Oscillator:      XT-PLL, 80.000MHz
'     Ext. Modules:    None.
'     SW:              mikroBasic PRO for ARM
'                      http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/753/mikrobasic-pro-for-arm/
' * NOTES:
'   - Turn off all PORT LEDs except PORTB at SW15. (board specific)
'   - Pull-down PORTA at SW1, and put SW16.1 in VCC position (board specific)

program Pwm_Demo
dim current_duty, old_duty, current_duty1, old_duty1 as word
    pwm_period1, pwm_period2 as word

sub procedure InitMain()
  GPIO_Digital_Input (@GPIO_PORTA, _GPIO_PINMASK_ALL) ' configure PORTA pins as input
end sub

main:
  InitMain()
  current_duty  = 100                         ' initial value for current_duty
  current_duty1 = 100                         ' initial value for current_duty1

pwm_period1 = PWM_CCP0_Init(5000, @_GPIO_MODULE_CCP0_B0)
  pwm_period2 = PWM_CCP3_Init(5000, @_GPIO_MODULE_CCP3_B2)

PWM_CCP0_Start()
  PWM_CCP3_Start()

PWM_CCP0_Set_Duty(current_duty,  _PWM_INVERTED_DISABLE)  ' Set current duty for PWM_CCP0
  PWM_CCP3_Set_Duty(current_duty1, _PWM_INVERTED_DISABLE)  ' Set current duty for PWM_CCP3

while (TRUE)                               ' endless loop
    if GPIO_PORTA_DATA.B0 = 1 then           ' button on RA0 pressed
      Delay_ms(1)
      current_duty = current_duty + 5        ' increment current_duty
      if (current_duty > pwm_period1) then   ' if we increase current_duty greater then possible pwm_period1 value
        current_duty = 0                     ' reset current_duty value to zero
      end if
      PWM_CCP0_Set_Duty(current_duty,  _PWM_INVERTED_DISABLE) ' set newly acquired duty ratio
    end if

if GPIO_PORTA_DATA.B1 = 1 then           ' button on RA1 pressed
      Delay_ms(1)
      current_duty = current_duty - 5        ' decrement current_duty
      if (current_duty > pwm_period1) then   ' if we decrease current_duty greater then possible pwm_period1 value (overflow)
        current_duty = pwm_period1           ' set current_duty to max possible value
      end if
      PWM_CCP0_Set_Duty(current_duty,  _PWM_INVERTED_DISABLE) ' set newly acquired duty ratio
    end if

if GPIO_PORTA_DATA.B2 = 1 then           ' button on RA2 pressed
      Delay_ms(1)
      current_duty1 = current_duty1 + 5      ' increment current_duty1
      if (current_duty1 > pwm_period2) then  ' if we increase current_duty1 greater then possible pwm_period2 value
        current_duty1 = 0                    ' reset current_duty1 value to zero
      end if
      PWM_CCP3_Set_Duty(current_duty1, _PWM_INVERTED_DISABLE)       ' set newly acquired duty ratio
    end if

if GPIO_PORTA_DATA.B3 = 1 then           ' button on RA3 pressed
      Delay_ms(1)
      current_duty1 = current_duty1 - 5      ' decrement current_duty1
      if (current_duty1 > pwm_period2) then  ' if we decrease current_duty1 greater then possible pwm_period1 value (overflow)
        current_duty1 = pwm_period2          ' set current_duty to max possible value
      end if
      PWM_CCP3_Set_Duty(current_duty1, _PWM_INVERTED_DISABLE)
    end if

Delay_ms(1)                              ' slow down change pace a little
  wend
end.

pico

non-interesting criteria like raw speed, supplier reliability, or price.

Call me non-interesting, but I think supplier reliability and price actually tend to concentrate the mind over and above other more "artistic" features, at least when when a "real" product is involved. Particularly supplier reliability.
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Go Up