Go Down

Topic: get heat from battery (question)? (Read 2175 times) previous topic - next topic

zhirantaha

hi
i want to convert 9v battery or 12 volt battery into heat, i mean to get a heat from the battery to warm something up, it not important if the heat is not too much??
is it possible?

johnwasser

Energy in a battery can be converted to heat.  Use a resistor.  Current is voltage/resistance. Current times voltage is heat in watts.  If you dump a 12V battery into a 2 Ohm resistor you will get 6A of current and thus 12(V)*6(A) = 72 Watts of heat.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

fungus

hi
i want to convert 9v battery or 12 volt battery into heat, i mean to get a heat from the battery to warm something up, it not important if the heat is not too much??
is it possible?

Seems like an expensive way to do it. A battery won't last long if you draw enough current to make it hot. Why not use a normal heating element?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

majenko

Energy in a battery can be converted to heat.  Use a resistor.  Current is voltage/resistance. Current times voltage is heat in watts.  If you dump a 12V battery into a 2 Ohm resistor you will get 6A of current and thus 12(V)*6(A) = 72 Watts of heat.

... and a very smokey resistor ...

Make sure your resistor can handle the power, or it will burst into flames.  A little ¼W one wouldn't be suitable ;)

You can make your own heating element using Nickel Chromium (NiChrome) wire.  A good source for this is from an old electric heater, surprisingly enough :)

zhirantaha

i couldn't what you all said
please explain it clearly!

zhirantaha

can i get a enough heat by 9v  battery and normal heating element??

fungus

Enough heat for what? You'll get better answers if you tell people what you're trying to do.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

zhirantaha

Enough heat for what? You'll get better answers if you tell people what you're trying to do.

for water!

dxw00d

How much water? What temperature increase do you need?

zhirantaha

the amount of water is less than 2 L and change  the temperature up to  25c from 10c

majenko

the amount of water is less than 2 L and change  the temperature up to  25c from 10c

Over how long a period?  (i.e., how fast do you want it to heat up?)

fungus

Nov 16, 2012, 04:57 pm Last Edit: Nov 16, 2012, 04:59 pm by fungus Reason: 1

the amount of water is less than 2 L and change  the temperature up to  25c from 10c

How many joules of energy is that? How many are in your battery?

Answer: Over 120Kj of heat needed, only 18Kj in a 9V battery. You'll need about 15 batteries to do it.

zhirantaha

johnwasser

Answer: Over 120Kj of heat needed.

120,000 Joules = 33.333 Watt-hours

A 100 Watt heater would heat the water in 1/3 hour (20 minutes). Do you need faster heating?

200 Watts would take 10 minutes.

2,000 Watts would take 1 minute.

20,000 Watts would take 6 seconds. :)
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

John_S

20,000 Watts would take 6 seconds.

...annnd a 9V battery would take 10 days.  XD

9V at 150ma = 1.35W
333Wh/1.35W = 246hours

http://jsrintervalometers.blogspot.ca

Go Up