Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: FAQ versus FP(A)  (Read 667 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Why are there so many Frequently Posted ( Answers) on this site?
This site is turning into forum of bullies pretending to be educators.
Here is my favorite one, what  is yours?  

...and post your entire code in quotation  marks after you auto format it...

Moderator edit: added quote tags to Vaclav's self-referential quote.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:21:19 pm by AWOL » Logged

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

You're mistaken (again) - we prefer code tags [code], not quotation marks

There are really good reasons for this.

In fact, the most recent version of this particular FPA was yours, Vaclav, here

It's a question of efficiency - we can spend time picking apart badly posted code with strikeouts or italics, or we can quickly scan nicely formatted code and point directly at the problem.
Which would you rather see, or spend your precious spare time on?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:57:20 am by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

Why are there so many Frequently Posted ( Answers) on this site?
Because people keep asking the same questions, just worded slightly differently. Whetether it is laziness or an inadequate search system, that stops or discourages, users to find the answer to well known probems... well, can be debated.

(As can  the lack of a real FAQ or the "slowness" to fix known bugs in examples and tutorials )

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

Seems to me it's turning into a place for people to whine about the customer service qualities of other patrons' posts.

I don't know if there's a three-letter acronym for posted gripes and questions about why one should (or should be asked to) use a formatting construct that doesn't interpret its contents as control characters.  Maybe "NSA" for "Non-Sensible Arguments"?

Which reminds me, I'm sick of computers using 8 bits per byte.  If 7-bit ASCII was good enough for email, it should be good enough to store all my binary data too!  OS writers are just grumpy curmudgeons trying to enforce their own pedantic conventions on the rest of the world.   smiley-roll-sweat

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

You need 7 bits?
Baudot, sir, Baudot.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I don't know if it's just me but a few of the posts I reply to seem to be left hanging where the OP never responds to my questions or reply. I wonder if the info they receive fixes the problem so they don't bother (until the next time) to say the problem is sorted or they have given up/moved on to new things.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it. Piss on it and walk away.

View Profile

Same here, I have a name for such folks - "shooting star" AKA one time event.
It is futile to try to correct this, since most of these characters cannot read and follow instructions.

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

I don't know if it's just me but a few of the posts I reply to seem to be left hanging where the OP never responds to my questions or reply.
I think one of the reason is that the default setting is not to be mailed when answer come to your post.
I have seen more than one occasion where people were surprised at the many responses when they came back for something else.
But I agree there are many posters who prefer whining over the moderators to saying thanks for trying to help out.
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I think one of the reason is that the default setting is not to be mailed when answer come to your post.
I have seen more than one occasion where people were surprised at the many responses when they came back for something else.
First port of call for me after logging in is the 'Unread Replies' link.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it. Piss on it and walk away.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

One way I look at it is a bit like an educational establishment, but one where there are no terms/semesters.

We're in a perpetual state of having freshers asking dumb questions that they imagine no-one has ever asked before, unaware of the facilities in place to help them.
In a real school, this would hopefully be mostly over before the start of December, giving the staff time to recover over the rest of the year.
However here, this never happens, so perhaps it isn't surprising the staff sometimes go postal.

Having noobs who've not had several years frustration of a rolling Freshers Week and who then whinge and moan that the staff are being nasty really only exacerbates the situation.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:33:21 pm by AWOL » Logged

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

... one of the reason is that the default setting is not to be mailed when answer come to your post....
Ah! Its been so long since I enrolled smiley-wink  but this is a real improvment suggestion for a better forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: