Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Things to be missed 10 years from now...  (Read 3534 times)
Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Ahh yes, but will you be able to buy a toob guitar amp that you can turn up to 11?

Tom.... smiley-cool

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Vacuum glass tube making has become a lost art. Very few can make them now. We had a dozen tubes that we use to do an intro physics lab. The tubes gradually degraded and burnt out due to student wrong handling and we couldn't find any replacement. Luckily we found a new model (with MCU inside to regulate current and voltage). We stocked up the tubes this time.

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control
View Profile

Hi, in Ten Years not another MH370 disaster, all aircraft will have transponders that will tell the ground even when someone uses the loo. And they cannot be turned off.
A transponder system completely independent of the aircraft electrics and on board control.

Tom.... smiley

ps Hopefully something constructive will come of this episode.

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Why can they turn the transponders off these days?

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

Was this thread started because yesterday was the ten years anniversery that the Arduino was concieved? Which shows how much or how little has changed in 10 years.

10 years from now I may be missing my job as I enjoy my retirment. I'll miss being able to do anything on the WWW anonymously. I'll miss the support-line to talk to person, as I fill in a webform to lodge my question.

10 years from now it gets harder and harder to pick junk apart and salvage usable components - its mostly highly customized chip or junk mechanics with electronics compensating.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Why can they turn the transponders off these days?

______
Rob

Transponders have to be under control of the pilot as the 'squawk' code is dynamic and has to be manually entered/changed via instructions from the ATC having jurisdiction. Also a malfunctioning transponder have to be able to be manually turned off to prevent interference with other transponders/ATC. I've heard that the transponders are already redundant.  That aside there is probably a need for some other kind of basic real-time beacon unique to every commercial airliner. The problem is most likely a bandwidth problem for yet  another system that could monitor all commercial planes in the air worldwide.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I see. Yes I would imagine there are better ways to do this now, maybe they should connect every plane to the IoT smiley

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

God Member
View Profile

Some ships have bouys which activate and float to surface when a ship sinks.
Surprised aircraft are not fitted, their liferafts are.

The Netherlands
Edison Member
View Profile

Those EPIRB's are mandatory by SOLAS regulation on commercial seagoing vessels, as are transponders.
The user can't change their transponders identity code and they do not have an off switch.
Only law enforcement is allowed to switch off the transmitter.

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

God Member
View Profile

So why do they not put them on aircraft

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

So why do they not put them on aircraft

Government Logic: "Because they are for ships"

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

because of the weight?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Hi, in Ten Years not another MH370 disaster, all aircraft will have transponders that will tell the ground even when someone uses the loo. And they cannot be turned off.
A transponder system completely independent of the aircraft electrics and on board control.

They're already on it. I understand the data will be logged to ... Cloud Servers  smiley-roll-blue

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

They're already on it. I understand the data will be logged to ... Cloud Servers  smiley-roll-blue

I always wondered ... do cloud servers also work on bright - cloudless -  days?  smiley

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

I always wondered ... do cloud servers also work on bright - cloudless -  days?  smiley

Arrgh! Another unforeseen failure mode! I've been noticing some interesting ones lately, involving automotive "smart" keys and fancy smoke alarms.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: