Go Down

Topic: NRF24l01 or Xbee? (Read 2156 times) previous topic - next topic

hi everyone..
im working on wireless sensor network for remote monitoring system. im thinking of best receiver to use for multiple node of transmitter that can be receive by single transceiver?can anyone share which one is better for WSN application with some arguments...tq

oric_dan

I've only used XBee, and they're easy to use if you buy the series 1 units. You simply buy a couple
of XBee shields, plug in 2 modules and they will automatically communicate at 9600 bps, without
any setup muckaround [unless something has changed]. To make comms with a PC on one end,
you can buy an XBee carrier board with a USB interface.

This route will probably be a little more expensive than going NRF2401, but I cannot say for sure.
The nice thing is, with the XBee shields, you can also plug in various other modules directly into the
same socket, eg wifi, bluetooth, and others, so you have a lot of options.

PaulS

You simply buy a couple
of XBee shields, plug in 2 modules and they will automatically communicate at 9600 bps, without
any setup muckaround

But, they will be a lot faster if you do spent 5 minutes "mucking around", setting MY and DL to appropriate values, so that they don't broadcast to each other. Broadcast works, but is at least an order of magnitude slower than directed communication.

P18F4550

I've been using xrf's for a while and am totally happy with them
http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/xrf-wireless-rf-radio-uart-rs232-serial-data-module-xbee-shape-arduino-pic-etc/

I've tried nRf24l01's also very happy except for the short range, fine for home and garden.

XRF's are firmware upgradable to use the onboard uC reset pin to program arduino wirelessly

oric_dan

Nov 18, 2012, 05:04 am Last Edit: Nov 18, 2012, 05:16 am by oric_dan(333) Reason: 1
But, they will be a lot faster if you do spent 5 minutes "mucking around", setting MY and DL to appropriate values, so that they don't broadcast to each other. Broadcast works, but is at least an order of magnitude slower than directed communication.

Unless things have changed, re the Series 1 units, MY and DL are both set to 0 on all units
shipped, and even though both are using the same address, they'll communicate ok because
they don't transmit and receive at the same time. So, DL=0 xmits to MY=0 in both directions.

Also, I believe they are "not" using broadcast mode by default. That requires using
DL=0xFFFF or something, no?

The point about mucking around is, you just pop them in and they go. Afterwards you can
customize all the settings.

PaulS

Afterwards you can
customize all the settings.

I guess I just prefer to work with a known quantity. I'm just weird that way. To each his own, though.

Go Up