Go Down

Topic: Help with code, Hdd Pov Clock (Read 996 times) previous topic - next topic

monti73

Hi to everyone!
I'm building my own HDD POV CLOCK. Finally I have all the hardware up and running and it's time to code. Before codeing the clock I've started with something simpler like a circle splitted in 4. I almost got it, but my problem is that I can't get the circle to stay "static" it keeps spinning very slowly!! I posted a video to show it better.. Do you think it's a software problem or a hardware problem?

About the hardware:
- Hdd running at 7220 rpm -> This is very stable, sometimes it goes to 7214 or 7223 but no beyond that
- Magnet sticked to hard drive plate
- Hall effect sensor through a schmitt trigger (40106) to interrupt 0 of Arduino
- ULN2003 to turn on the leds

The video showing the bug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhrxkYqG9SY

And my code:
Code: [Select]
int leds=8; //Led strip on pin 8, connect to 12v from ATX trough ULN2003

unsigned long tiempoAnterior = 0;
unsigned long tiempoLeds = 0;
unsigned long tiempoVuelta=0;
volatile  unsigned long vueltas=0;
int ledState=LOW;

void setup()
{
  attachInterrupt(0, rpm_fun, FALLING); //interrupt 0 -> pin 2
}

void loop()
{
  unsigned long tiempoActual= micros();
  if(vueltas>=20)
  {
    tiempoVuelta = (tiempoActual-tiempoAnterior) / vueltas; //Each turn takes aproximately 8310 uS
    tiempoAnterior = tiempoActual; 
    vueltas=0;   
  }

if(tiempoActual-tiempoLeds>= (tiempoVuelta/4)-4)           //tiempoVuelta/4 -> Split each revolution time into 4
  {                                                          //This (-4) factor is a correction factor showed in the video, best value I've found
    tiempoLeds=tiempoActual;   //Last time Leds blinked      //If I put (-0) the circle spins faster,
    ledState = !ledState;                                   //And if I put (-5) of below, the circle starts spinng the other way
    digitalWrite(leds, ledState);
  }
}

void rpm_fun()
{
  vueltas++;
}

Thanks to everyone!

johnwasser

I think it would work if you synchronized the LED loop with the interrupt.  By re-starting the LED timer with each interrupt you should be able to keep the blinking locked to the position of the platter.  Something like this:

Code: [Select]

int leds=8; //Led strip on pin 8, connect to 12v from ATX trough ULN2003

unsigned long tiempoAnterior = 0;
volatile unsigned long tiempoLeds = 0;
unsigned long tiempoVuelta=0;
volatile  unsigned long vueltas=0;
int ledState=LOW;

void setup()
{
  attachInterrupt(0, rpm_fun, FALLING); //interrupt 0 -> pin 2
}

void loop()
{
  unsigned long tiempoActual = micros();
  if(vueltas>=20)
  {
    tiempoVuelta = (tiempoActual-tiempoAnterior) / vueltas; //Each turn takes aproximately 8310 uS
    tiempoAnterior = tiempoActual; 
    vueltas=0;   
  }

if(tiempoActual-tiempoLeds >= (tiempoVuelta/4))           //tiempoVuelta/4 -> Split each revolution time into 4
  {                                                     
    tiempoLeds=tiempoActual;   //Last time Leds blinked
    ledState = !ledState;
    digitalWrite(leds, ledState);
  }
}

void rpm_fun()
{
  vueltas++;
  tiempoLeds = micros();
}
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

monti73

Hi John! Thanks for your answer, and sorry for answering so late, I didn't see the notification... I realized that the problem was exactly what you're pointing. I could solve it making the loop() run only once with each interruption, kinda worked, but is not perfect, i'm still working on that :D
I'm going to try aproching the problem the way you pruposed, I think is more efficient!

this is what I've so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsF-6FnbgbU

Thanks!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy