Go Down

Topic: Why does a 9V battery power a 5V Arduino? (Read 713 times) previous topic - next topic

fungus

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

retrolefty

Yes there is a on-board +5vdc regulator that takes any external voltage 7-12vdc applied to the external voltage connector or the Vin shield pin and supplies the arduino with the +5vdc Vcc voltage it requires. The USB connector is another way to power the board via the +5vdc included in the USB connection. If there is both USB and external power avilable at the same time a on board voltage selection function uses the external power and cuts off the USB power.

Lastly those small rectangular 9 volt batteries are a very poor choice to power an arduino board. They provide pretty low maximum current capacity and have pretty poor battery duration (mAH rating) and cost a fortune per energy supplied. They are designed to power smoke alarms for several years not an arduino for a day or so.

Lefty

dhenry

Why does a 9V battery power a 5V Arduino?

Some people have a lot of money.

Grumpy_Mike

This means that while a 9V battery can power an Arduino, you should not do it. This is because the battery current capacity is so low that they do not last very long.

Docedison

--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy