Go Down

Topic: Burning the bootloader to a nano using uno as ISP (Read 2025 times) previous topic - next topic

jbaeten

Hi,

I just got my nano v3.0 and I'm excited to start working with it. Unfortunately it came without a bootloader installed. Now I'm trying to figure out how to burn the bootloader onto my nano by using the uno rev3 I have as an arduinoISP.

I think I understand all the steps I have to do in the IDE, but I'm not sure about the connections I made.
I connected pins 11,12,13 from the uno to the nano, I connected pin 10 from the nano to the reset of the uno, I put a 10µF capacitor from reset to GND on the uno. I should also mention that I'm powering the nano with a USB cable connected to my pc (so, not using the power pins from the uno).

I then get this error:
Code: [Select]
avrdude: Send: P [50]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I'm guessing I just don't have everything wired the way I should. Can anyone help me out here?

simplex

Here is a tutorial about how to burn a target AVR with any code you want, including a bootloader.
http://pdp11.byethost12.com/AVR/ArduinoAsProgrammer.htm

jbaeten

Thanks! The guide is a lot clearer than the others I found.

Unfortunately I do not have a 16mhz oscillator and I was wondering if I could do it without one. They aren't expensive, but I would like to have my nano up and running as fast as possible, and if I order one from eBay it would take some time to arrive.
I saw somewhere it is possible to use the internal oscillator of the atmega on the nano. How do I do this?

simplex

Arduino Nano V3.0 already works at 16MHz. You do not have to add a Crystal. Just power the board and connect (SS, MOSI, MISO, SCK) of UNO to (RESET, MOSI, MISO, SCK) of the AVR on NANO.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy