Go Down

Topic: What do you think of these odd cheap displays from American Science and Surplus? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

JoeN

A VFD display for a buck.  I have already figured out the pinouts for these LEDs, all work fine.  The X/O display has two segments for the X's (/ and \) and four for the O's (N, S, E, and W crescents.)   Everything I tried worked.  Haven't done the VFD yet but they look like they are new condition, never used.  

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

johnwasser

I like those 3-digit 7-segment displays.  I'd buy a dozen just to have handy.

Not so sure about the X-in-O displays. 
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

JoeN

I like those 3-digit 7-segment displays.  I'd buy a dozen just to have handy.

I bought (left to right) 10, 10, 5, 5, mostly on account of how little they all cost.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

JoeN

Arduino: noughts and crosses game!

That was what I was thinking but there is a practical problem with the displays being 2x1 instead of 3x1 which is there is no possible way to fit them into a 3x3 board, so I guess you go with a 4x4 board which is less common around here.  One possibility could be that each move is half an O or half an X because the segments are evenly divisible but I am not sure if that would make the game better or worse.

I am even more interested in that VFD.  I forgot that the filament driver is usually low voltage AC so I have to make a power supply to do that and start testing it out.

Osgeld

you can arrange them

and have that one sticking out to indicate who's turn it is with 5 units
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

Ran Talbott

The "XO" displays could make an interesting binary clock display: use the crescents for the low-order 4 bits, and the bars for the 3 high-order ones.

You could also use them to make an animated gauge by "spinning" it at a variable rate to show magnitude.

Go Up