Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestions for Wifi without router wanted  (Read 728 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I am thinking about using a WiFi shield for a project that would allow me to use my web browser and a server running on the arduino.  I have done this type of set up with a Ethernet shield that connects directly to the home wifi router router via a 10baseT cable.  This works great.  But I would like to get rid of the home wifi router, and also the Ethernet shield.  The way I was thinking this would work is that I would run the server on the arduino and use the wifi shield but I then want to connect directly using my wifi device, (ipad for example,open safari) and then see the page served up from the arduino.  I want to do this away from any wifi router with a direct connection from the arduino to the PC, or other wifi enabled browser.  Can this be done?  How do I set this up?  And, which shield should I purchase.?  I have read that these shields are not very stable and having one that is known to work ok would be great.  I do have a router, and could use that for debugging, but really need the system to end up with the wifi router out of the picture, if possible. 

Thank You,
Walt

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

I believe you just need to ensure that your WiFi devices can be configured to work in ad-hoc mode. This allows them to operate peer-to-peer, thereby leaving the router out of the game. 

I recall my WiFi repeater can be configured for that and, since you already have an ethernet shield, an appropriate repeater may be a solution. Once that is proven, it's all down to the iPad.

View Profile

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Further investigation has not found a wifi sheild that has a 'good' reputation of being bug free and can serve as a server, at least without a wifi router.  Right now, the best solution has been to use the wifi router and a hard wired cable.

Here is what I working with right now.  I wrote this program, and am now trying to get rid of the wired cable and the router.  What i want to do is run a similar web program, (not x10, but on the boat to do some interfacing) and i want to access it without having to put in a router or the ethernet cable.  I have the new program working with the cable and the ethernet router as the wifi access.  So a solution that will take the router functionality and merge it on to a board that can be directly connected to the arduino would be great.  The program is only a couple of pages, the thing is pretty simple and i can deal with the 'delays' of the overhead in the arduino.  Below is a program i wrote for this that works with the ethernet cable.  Its stable and has been running without modification for over a year now.  No problems at all.  I dont need the arduino to act as a router, just let one device, access it.

I think the exact term for what i want to do is a peer to peer server/web browser set up, with the arduino running a wifi board and the iphone/ipad/computer/smart device/ that can run any old web browser see the web page in the arduino.  I want to migrate, using the code approach shown in my video below , migrate this to a wifi sheild.  Not sure if something exists that does this.  Any help would be great.  The other thing about the approach is that it would be app free on the other end, hence the desire to continue the use of an browser.

Thanks,
Walt,

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

investigation has not found a wifi sheild that has a 'good' reputation of being bug free

I think this is correct, they are overpriced and flakey, hence my comment about using a WiFi repeater, particularly since you already have an ethernet shield. Having said that, you make no mention of the power supply, it may be an issue, and I am not aware of a repeater running off battery.

Here is what I working with right now.  I wrote this program, and am now trying to get rid of the wired cable and the router.    I dont need the arduino to act as a router, just let one device, access it.

The goal is far from clear but, if it is just to perform some tasks as shown at 00:29, and this is a one-to-one exercise,  you can be sure you can do the whole thing in bluetooth and there is a whole raft of bluetooth apps just waiting for you at the Android apps store. There are bluetooth devices that have a range comparable with WiFi

I think the exact term for what i want to do is a peer to peer server/web browser set up, with the arduino running a wifi board and the iphone/ipad/computer/smart device/

I think "peer to peer server" is a contradiction in terms.

The other thing about the approach is that it would be app free on the other end, hence the desire to continue the use of an browser.

If you can back off from that principle, life might be easier............

View Profile

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I am thinking that what the simplest solution is to go to walmart, spend 35 bucks on a cheap wifi router, then just hardwire the arduino into that with a short cable. I can set the router up with open access.  The ethernet sheild plus the cost of the router is less than the wifi shield, and solves the problem.  The router will run on 12 volts so that will work on the boat.  The project is to put up a bunch of engine monitor signals onto a web page.  So what I want, is just to type in the address of the arduino, and have it connect directly to the device and bring up the page with the data.  T

The solution provides for wifi access with the arduino with no problems at all.  Just a bit clunky  but much simpler than plugging in a shield and writing some code.  I don't need to have internet access, just local. 

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I did something similar with a router below that might be of interest.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

I am thinking that what the simplest solution is to go to walmart, spend 35 bucks on a cheap wifi router,
 I don't need to have internet access, just local. 

This sounds like it could be a $7 bluetooth project. Be aware that routers are often 15v.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: