Go Down

Topic: RTC DS1307 (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

NobleNoob

Nov 21, 2012, 11:58 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2012, 12:00 am by NobleNoob Reason: 1
I have two DS1307 I2C RTC Modules

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190720534421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I hooked up the rtc to the mega and loaded the TimeRTCSet example from the Time examples

the sketch reports the time as 0:00:00  1 1 2000. I sent the command T1353540094 which is a valid unix time and the sketch starts reporting
23:20:00  21-11-2012 ... Ok seems fine.  I hit the reset button on the arduino and the sketch resets and the time is still valid.  I unplug the mega from the usb, plug it back in and start the serial monitor and the date defaults back to 0:00:00 1 1 2000.  I checked the battery and it has 3.93v, I checked to see if the rtc was actually talking on the i2c bus by adding a Serial.println(RTC.get()); to the main loop and I get incremented time as I would expect.  I disconnected the rtc from the arduion and the sketch stops so I can assume communications are working properly.  I do have 10k pull resistors installed on sda and scl as tutorials have shown.

I asked the guys in irc and one of them said that if I didnt see voltage on the VCC / GND pins then the battery wasnt working, and I thought that there would be some kind of mechanism to prevent voltage/current flow from the battery to the vcc pin, dont know what to think...

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Any ideas?

johnwasser

Sounds like a bad connection to the battery.  The advertisement says that it is supposed to arrive with he time per-set. Check the solder connections.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

NobleNoob

Note: I am giving up on these modules.  I have two of them and one of them keeps data on reset and not on no power and the other one doesn't keep data either way.  I don't have electrical knowledge to debug hardware so I say caution to those considering this product.

MarkT

Does sound like they are knock-off DS1307's - get a module from a reputable supplier.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy